British Columbia: Worms eating my Strawberries

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by desertwoman, Jun 15, 2011.

1. desertwoman

desertwoman Member

Last year and again this year, there are worms eating my strawberries. There is a post "strawberry worms-not omnivorous leaftier" dated June 28, 2010 from 2weety that is similar however the description doesn't seem to be the same. Someone liberated my camera so I cannot provide a picture. The worms are 1/4 to 1/2 inch, quite wiggley, skinny, light brownish grey, pointed at both ends, and do not look like caterpillars to me.
    Questions:
    Today I have tried to raise the berries up on some straw but won't these worms just wiggle over the straw and up to the berries?
    I bought some new plants and planted them in a separate container planter away from my existing patch so why did I find a worm there?
    What are they?
    How can I assist them in moving to the next world?

This is my first post and I haven't read through all the ins and out of this terrific website, however I look forward to lots of learning!

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Insecticidal soap.

3. Erica W

Erica W Member

We have wood bugs eating our strawberries. I would be interested in finding out if anyone has an organic way of preventing bugs from eating the precious berries, and how to implement.

4. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

You could try raising the berries up on loosely folded chicken wire "pads", so there is an inch or so of air between them and the ground. That should provide enough of a gap to protect them from earthworms or sowbugs, which like to stay in close contact with moist soil.
    If your varmints have legs or leg-like bumps of any sort then they are not worms, but the larval of some insect. Caterpillars are the larve of butterflys and moths, but there are many other insects whose larvae are garden pests. These larvae are more likely to be able to climb the plant stems to reach the fruit, while sowbugs and worms would just eat the fruit actually lying on the ground.
    I haven't tried this myself as my yard is too shady to grow any fruit but raspberries.

5. desertwoman

desertwoman Member

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.
    - I did not see any kind of bumps or legs on these worms, so I think they are just worms. They remind me of intestinal worms only much shorter.
    - I had previously read about raising the berries onto straw and I tried that but I wonder if the worms could just crawl up and over the straw. Chicken wire sounds better - I just need to cut a lot of small pieces of it.
    - will insecticide soap affect the berries or is just rinsing them enough
    - I have come across some homemade spray recipes that include a lot of garlic. Will that affect the taste of the berries?

Thanks again.

6. desertwoman

desertwoman Member

PS: Sorry I forgot one thing.

I have quite heavy clay so I am using horse manure and peat to help loosen it up. Could these worms transfer from the manure?