British Columbia: Cercidiphyllum Japonicum (Katsura Tree)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Erica W, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Erica W

Erica W Member

I'm interested in planting a couple of Cercidiphyllum Japonicum (Katsura) trees as street trees in front of my house. I've seen several beautiful specimens in the neighborhood (in parks and as street trees).

I would like to start with taller trees so I don't have to wait so long for the trees to mature. Recently I saw a few at a nursery that are about 15ft tall but the branches are quite sparse. On one of the trees the branches look dead on one side with no leaves on most of the branches, while the opposite side is full of leaves but also has more space and sunlight.

1. Will these trees fill out or am I better off buying trees that are smaller but look more balanced in their growth pattern? How long might they take to fill out/ look balanced?

2. Generally should I expect that most tree types from a nursery will look sparse because of their cramped growing conditions?

2. ryansenechal

ryansenechal Active Member

Larger cal. Container/B&B stock is always going to be dicey as far as crown density, though it will definitely cost you less than sourcing locally grown specimens. Unfortunately, nurseries that grow their stock typically don't sell to the public or are not open on weekends. This can easily be arranged by one of the many fine Arborists and Landscapers in your area.

The difference in quality and health is irrefutable, short and long term.

3. Erica W

Erica W Member

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

4. pjr

pjr Member

The Katsura tree is one of the least drought tolerant trees for Pacific NW gardens. The tree you described was very likely drought stressed resulting with those symptoms. I don't recommend this species unless you have plenty of soil moisture throughout the summer or have it planted in an irrigated location

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Hope you have lots of room. Katsuras have been popular for a while now. I think that suppliers & homeowners alike forget that these are LARGE trees. They are so elegant when smalll...cute like the puppy with those big feet...that they get planted close to houses.

I can look at one from my driveway that is about 10-12 years old & is taking over an old-style Fraser valley 1/4 acre lot. Nuthin' much else is going to be growing in their front yard! Where are the roots going, I wonder? They planted it about 10 feet from the house.

Just make sure you have space for these big trees, or plan to replace them, or know a really good tree-pruner.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011