Figs but no leaves?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by medusabomb, May 26, 2011.

1. medusabomb

medusabomb Member

I bought a very healthy unknown variety of fig last spring, lived on my deck all summer, produced about 11 nice figs (its only 3 1/2' tall with 3 main branches 18"ea) then I overwintered it using a mishmash of methods. I wrapped the pot with a small strand of lights, wrapped the tree itself in burlap then wrapped a cotton sheet in several layers around the whole thing (over a frame) and put it in my garage (unheated) watered a couple times over the winter with just a 1/2 c water. Once it began to warm, slowly unwrapped it, exposed to a bit more light each day, finally a couple weeks ago put it back on the deck. There are 15 fig 'babies' in varying sizes on all the branches growing bigger by the day. The leaf buds on each branch tip,however, have not opened, and are brown at the tips and seem damaged by frost(?) Will this tree sprout new leaves somewhere else, or is it doomed? What can I do to save it, and what did I do wrong?

2. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

I have never overwintered a fig indoors, so I don't really know for sure what happened, but maybe it was overwrapped? When the fig is completely dormant it should take quite a bit of frost, depending on its size. How cold does it get in your garage? If it doesn't get cold enough to freeze the soil in the pot more than an inch or two, it should be fine on its own. At any rate, it sounds like the first flush will be kind of ugly, but it won't stay that way for long, especially as it warms up. Just make sure it's getting full sun and regular water.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It got cold last winter and your tree froze. Look for new growth farther back from the tips.

Only the figs starting in summer ripen in this region.

4. medusabomb

medusabomb Member

Still no signs of leaf buds but the figs are forming quite nicely... should I be worried? Should I remove some of the figs to allow the plant to concentrate on leaf/bud formation? Ack!
    Started 2 fig cuttings yesterday, a mission and a Kadota. Not familiar with the Kadota but thats what was being offered... so I took it! Crossing my fingers...

5. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

If the leaf buds are dead, I would cut the branches back to where healthy tissue is apparent. I wouln't worry about the fruit; most crops here in B.C. are in the late summer. There should be some nodes to choose from so the tree will grow in the desired shape. Are any of the tips black? If there are, they should definitely be clipped back.
    Kadota is a cultivar often sold here on the Coast, but does best in hot summer areas, which I believe includes the Kootenays. Nice yellow fruit with pink flesh, very sweet. Needs lots of heat.

6. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

To test for healthy (living) tissue, scratch the outer bark with your fingernail and see if there is healthy green cambium beneath: you might have to work your way back from the branch tip until you find some. Cut back to there.

7. medusabomb

medusabomb Member

Wouldnt it be safe to assume the area where the fig (fruit) is happily growing must be alive? There are figlets 1"from the tip of the brownish buds, and I see what look like tiny buds below the brown ones but they look like figs not leaf buds...yeesh... ;)

8. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Well.....depends. The fig crop you mention sits on the tree over winter, so it exist prior to leaves emerging. It could be that figs aren't yet opening in your area: mine are only about a week into it here on the coast, and I'm assuming the Kootenays is later in that regard, so despite some cold damage, you might be fine. I've had figs that died over winter before where the little figs actually grew a bit before the branch perished: perhaps there's sufficient energy reserves to get a bit of growth at the end, so the fact they're growing a bit isn't a certain indicator of viable life (yet). Scratching the bark to check won't harm the tree, and is the quickest way to answer your question. Otherwise, wait and see what the next month brings. One way or another, you'll find out soon.

9. medusabomb

medusabomb Member

Thanks for your help! I was feeling they were doomed, and have had a run of bad luck with citrus and finding it so frustrating...but....Ill wait! We have fabulous hot weather now so they should pick up !

10. medusabomb

medusabomb Member

Thank goodness I didnt prune... leaf buds & figlets galore sprouting from every joint on the whole plant! Yay! Just below(like 2mm) the brown shriveled leaf bud tips at the end of each branch, which I was going to snip off, there are lots of new leaf babies popping out...thank goodness! Thanks for everyones input during my panic attack! Mr.Sun helped out....