Help with my first orange tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by el_crni, Jul 9, 2006.

1. el_crni

el_crni Member

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post here, i have recently found out about this great website and forum, you are the best guys.

now about my problem, i am growing oranges from seeds (i didnt want to buy already grown tree, this is more chalenge and interesting) now my oranges have 4 weeks and about 10 cm high, watering every 2-3 days and now i thing that my plants need fertilizer and food. what is the best combination of fertilizers to grow healty orange trees (just to be clear, it is not necesary that my oranges give fruits, but it would be nice offcourse)

Please if anyone have good sugestion and fertlizing schedule.

Thanks in advance

2. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Where is Novi Sad? What is your climate, and are your seedlings in ground or pots? Inside or outside?
    The more info the better the replys will be!
    Thanks Greg

3. el_crni

el_crni Member

Oh, i am sorry i am new to this and forgot to write all those data.

Novi sad is in serbia, eastern europe, seeds are in pots and now they are outside couse temperatures are between 28-35 deg. celsius. in winter they will be insie offcourse.
    Thanks a lot

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Have a look at the thread new to lemon trees | UBC Botanical Garden Forums for my suggestion for established trees. For seedlings I would use either a diluted form (perhaps at half-strength) or a balanced fertilizer such as a 20-20-20.

For those curious to know where Novi Sad is (as I was), here it is on Google Maps using coordinates found in Wikipedia.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  5. el_crni

el_crni Member

Thanks "junglekeeper"
    I have just found out from my frient that i need to graft my "from seed oranges" with cultivated ones if i want them to give fruit and flowers in reasonable time. so as i see things is like this, i will buy cultivated orange tree and have it just to graft my "from seed oranges" couse i plan to have them more and more.

Another thing, i have just tried to grow pineapple, and i think that i am gonna make it :-)

thanks again guys

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

To get citrus fruits in a short period of time you have to graft buds from a MATURE tree (one that is already producing fruit) NOT from new seedlings. - Millet

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I was a little concerned with el_crni's response as well but I came to the conclusion he must be thinking of using the seedlings as rootstock as it certainly wouldn't make sense to graft immature wood of unknown quality onto a cultivated variety. Still I think there are better, proven rootstocks to choose from.

8. el_crni

el_crni Member

hehe i think that you didnt understud me.... i will buy orange tree from a green garden, a tree that already has fruits, and i will use it just to graft my seed oranges which in my case are as you said root stock...

i think that all is clear now?

Thanks alot guys