garden pests

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by New Green Thumb, Jun 5, 2011.

1. New Green Thumb

New Green Thumb Member

I planted my garden in April. Since then, my cucumber plants have died. The stems had been hollowed through and there were ants crawling all over them. I have been told that the problem is probably slugs eating through the stems and the ants eating their slime.

Now it looks like my kale plants are infested with ants as well. Could this also be a slug problem as well? I'm not sure what to do about this. I'm going to replant my cucumbers and kale plants that have been destroyed, but i'm scared that they will get eaten again. I'm also worried about my other plants (I've got carrots, beets, a variety of lettuces, peppers, strawberries and more) will be eaten away too.

As a first time gardener, I'd love some advice.

Thanks!

2. jessiehewong

jessiehewong Active Member

Hi, you can buy slug control pesticide in any garden shop, is in powder form, just put some powder around your plants at night, you can find out whether there are slugs or not.

jessie

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

See if you can get "Sluggo" in your area. It is a blend of Iron Phosphate and active ingredient with bait additives. Any bait not
    ingested by slugs/snails will harmlessly biodegradable and it is safe around pets. barb

4. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Up here the safe to use slug bait is called "Safers slug bait"
    Sluggo? That's Nancy's boyfriend in the comics. Good name.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

David - Is that made by the same people that make Safers Soap?
    I think you may be dating yourself to remember Nancy & Sluggo.
    ;))))) barb

6. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Yes- Safers soap, safers slug bait= same company.

I'm still a pup.

7. scottg

scottg Active Member

Possibly due to our cold wet spring. Cucumbers need warmer soil temperatures to even germinate the seeds, 20 deg plus. Assume they were put out as transplants? Gotta be carefull there as well because cucurbits have a taproot that can be damaged easily if rootbound before transplanted. I just sowed my cucumber seeds a couple days ago and still concerned about germination..

Kale shouldnt be a problem in cooler temps though. Cabbages seem to prefer weather such as we had this spring.