British Columbia: Rather sickly Native Dogwood Tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by George Austin, Jun 8, 2011.

1. George Austin

George Austin Member

Resident Arborist ??
    I live at Roberts Creek on the Sechelt Peninsula in B.C. and I have a Native Dogwood Tree approximately 35 to 40 years old that is kind of sickly. It is about 30 feet tall. Several years ago I took samples of the twigs and leaves to Garden Works in Burnaby (or what ever it was called then) and after looking at a number of books and pictures, they diagnosed my tree's problem as "anthracknosis" and recommended spraying. Unfortunately I did nothing. Now that my wife and I now live on the property that contains the tree, we would like to rejuvenate the tree if possible. The tree still flowers each spring, and has lots of leaves, but does not appear to be too healthy. On one of your threads, one of your people described a bark splitting symptom, my tree does NOT have that problem. I talked to one of the local gardening store people and they suggested that MAYBE the tree has reached the end of its life. They also mentioned the use of a copper spray to control the Anthracknosis, but maybe a more recent diagnosis would be in order. Can any of you recommend an Arborist in this area?
    Unfortunately, my thumbs are not very green at all, and my knowledge of plants and trees is limited. Can you assist me? Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

I've used lime-sulphur in the winter before bud break....usually January as the air is cold but the humidity seems to be lower.

Read the label directions. (sorry I have to say that.) Spray all of the cracks and crevices and up and down the branches so it is running off. Also spray the ground around the tree as the infection can bounce back up with the raindrops and will spread.

You're better with Cornus kousa, or I think Eddie's White wonder is alright too. There are others.

Our native Dogwoods can't handle our rain. Funny, neither can I.