British Columbia: Convolvulus ssp. aka Bindweed

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mcroteau1969, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcroteau1969

mcroteau1969 Active Member 10 Years

As a homeowner, I am plagued by bindweed in the beds along the south and east side of my house. Their roots have followed the drain-tile and spread. Roots have even surfaced in my crawlspace which is two feet below grade.

I have read articles from farmers describing some success with:

- shade cloth or black plastic poly vapour barrier
    - cover crops of marigolds, nasturtium, pumpkin and squash to shade out Convolvulus
    - some reports say extreme pH lowering helps​

My understanding is that Convolvulus spp. can have deep roots and trans-locating chemical treatments are preferred but that is not an option for me for a variety of reasons including local by-laws and my intention to produce food crops on these areas.

Has anyone out there had success with non-chemical methods of control?

If so, please share your experiences.

2. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

Instead of a herbicide, spray vinegar on the foliage. This will dessicate the plant and it will eventually die. A tough plant like this will likely take several applications. Vinegar is harmless to soil, although it may make it slightly more acidic. If you are going to use the soil for veggies, light liming to raise ph would likely be necessary regardless.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

By your description, vinegar is being used as a herbicide, "a type of pesticide used to kill unwanted plants".

We've had areas in the Garden where bindweed was rampant, there were attempts to blanket the area with cardboard then throw leaf mulch on top -- that was marginally effective.

4. mcroteau1969

mcroteau1969 Active Member 10 Years

I have used vinegar in my backyard on lawn and edge areas where broadleaved weeds were present. It worked well to chemically mow off the leaves but did little to the roots. I have also used EcoClear (Hi-test Acetic acid in my employment) but I prefer to just pull weeds out with a trusty old weed fork. Last year I dug one bed 10' long x 7' wide and 2 feet deep. I sifted all the soil to remove the Convolvulus roots but they grew back within weeks -- albeit, only in the dry areas under the eaves. I expect the roots will spread soon.

I have tried newspaper/cardboard and 8-10" of leaf mulch in past years but it seemed to do little. I feel maybe the leaf mulch broke down into a fine humus which seemed to encourage other weeds. Perhaps a mulch with a greater C:N ratio would be better?

I am not in a rush to solve this so perhaps a full summer of solarization using black poly might be my best option with a goal to later inoculating the bed with native soil (i.e. microbes) and a healthy helping of worms and compost ...

Is there simpler, more radical cultural practice that can alter the soil to discourage Convolvulus but not leave residual chemical problems that reduce my ability to grow vegees or other plants in the future.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  5. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

I guess I meant conventional chemical herbicide. People can consume vinegar as compared to say round up so it is a lot safer to use for a future veggie garden

6. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

Well if you continue to use vinegar and it mows the leaves off eventually the plant will die from lack of photosynthesis. That's why I mentioned several applications. Horticultural vinegar is better as it is more concentrated. Or just keeping weeding it out with your trusty old weed fork to accomplish the same thing. Eventually the roots will die from removing the leaves as they appear. I think vinegar would be easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.