Composting Invasive Ivy

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Kay Mai, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Kay Mai

Kay Mai Member

I have spent the last week stripping my poor Douglas Fir of forty years worth of ivy growth. What is a safe way to compost the ivy I have removed (including limbs 3" thick)? If I chip it can I use it as mulch/in the compost? Or is it best to let it sit and rot for years to come?

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

English Ivy (Hedera helix) & similar species compost quite well in my experience. Heap it up & cover it with a tarp for a few weeks to "cook" the outside if you can & if the sun ever comes out this spring. Leave it a year & most of it should turn to useable compost. Any bits that remain green - just get composted again in a second, much smaller pile, or in the regular compost bin. The large stems won't rot that quick of course. I leave the bigger bits that I prune in a heap in my yard that sparrows, wrens & juncos love to poke-around in.

Did you experience any skin rash or irritation while you were doing this?

3. Kay Mai

Kay Mai Member

Thanks Lysichiton,
    Good to know I can make use of it. No, no issues of rash/irritation. Mind you I was wearing gloves and a long shirt. I didn't want any carpenter ant bites!