Linden problems

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by notagreenthumb, Apr 10, 2011.

1. notagreenthumb

notagreenthumb Member

The complex I live in is now 26 years old. When built, quite a few Lindens were planted along the edge. Some of us would like to see them removed now because they are high maintenance, block a lot of light from the homes of people living near them, and become infested with aphids every summer. I order live bugs to take care of the aphids every June but we now have a problem with the tree company we usually hire to prune every spring. How big should they be allowed to grow? How should they be pruned? Does anyone agree that they are past their prime and should be cut down and replaced? I do not have a camera to take pics for you.

2. ryansenechal

ryansenechal Active Member

I think you may find disappointment in removing the trees, as even large replacement tree stock will leave the grounds looking barren and parched.

As far as the Lindens being "past their prime", it's difficult for me to comment on that without seeing the trees for myself. As for the age of your development being a relative indicator of the age of the plant material (add a few years), these Lindens are likely just entering their prime and in suitable growing conditions it's not a stretch to suggest that they very well may look great in fifty years.

Beneficial insects are a good strategy on managing the Aphids, as for pruning, reducing or even maintaining the size of each tree is the highest input maintenance scenario likely requiring annual or biannual visits. The best case scenario is removal of hazardous dead wood and minor crown thinning to achieve your light access objectives. That can happen on a 2-5 year cycle with excellent results.

I'm sorry to hear your previous tree care provider didn't pan out, hopefully you'll consider a consult with one of the many other fine area Arborists.