British Columbia: Camellia recommendations for Coquitlam

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by daveybarby, Apr 2, 2011.

1. daveybarby

daveybarby Member

At the local Burnaby BC nursery I see names like Winter Snowman, April Tryste, April Kiss, Kramer's (and others) Supreme and Roseland? Red. I'm looking for a 10'-12' camellias to go in the 12' wide space between two houses facing south. I am thinking April Kiss (dark pink) and Roseland? Red (Red), but I also get the same story of the tags not being accurate. Suggestions?

2. rhodogal

rhodogal Active Member

Re: camellia varieties & blooming times

If you can find a copy, a great resource ( I think ) is a book by Jennifer Trehane titled Camellias: The Gardener's Encyclopedia. I borrowed a copy from a friend, lots of great pictures and descriptions.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to new thread)

4. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

I am also in Coquitlam, and I grow several camellias: C. sasanqua, C. japonica, C. transnokoensis, C. oleifera. Depending on your altitude/microclimate you might be able to grow any of these.

The sasanquas are the tenderest and some bloom in mid-winter. Some are spreading/weeping and others are quite upright. The japonicas are prone to blooms browning in rain -- mine do best under a bit of cover, like a limbed-up conifer tree or a house overhang. The oleifera is bulletproof as far as I can tell, and has a lovely weeping growth habit, but small white flowers that really don't stand out. It likes full sun. The transnokoensis is still recovering from the hard winter a few years ago, when I nearly lost it, but it may be my favourite. Willowy and small-leaved, with pink/red buds opening to loonie-sized white flowers mid-winter (about the time the witch hazel and sweet box bloom). It was a gift, but the UBC plant sale may have some -- I know the botanical garden includes some specimens.

Hope this helps guide you!
    keke

5. daveybarby

daveybarby Member

Thank-you for your comments. I have planted a Japonica 'Rosehill Red' and a 'April Kiss' C. Oleifera x C Japonica, in a 12' space between the houses facing south. I hope there is enough shade. I am looking at J. Trehane's Camellia Encyclopedia and there is no mention of rain. I have seen the spots on the blooms in the garden shops and suspect from your note that I will be devising a cover: both these varieties grow over 10'! We shall see. Perhaps the Oleifera half will bulletproof the plant!

Thanks again.