British Columbia: Conifer/Evergreen Recommendation(s)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by nerv, Mar 28, 2011.

1. nerv

nerv Member

Please recommend any conifer/evergreens for privacy that will get 15' high (or a little higher 20') and no wider than 10' for the Vancouver area.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

In what time frame? Some things may do that but then continue to grow where others may reach that size, eventually.

3. nerv

nerv Member

Thanks for your response. I can be patient for the right tree! I would prefer the tree that will grow to 15' or more, but don't want to have anything that continues to grow too high, such as 40' plus. I'm also hoping not to have to prune much, if at all. I am open to any ideas that you can recommend.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Many kinds of hinoki are available, all grow slowly.

5. nerv

nerv Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Ron.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Picea omorika will do, but in the long term may become too large.

7. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Probably a good choice when the question asks for the impossible. Because what conifers shy of miniatures won't grow past the dimensions of the opening post. Pruning will be needed someday no matter what.

Hinoki would be one of my favorites because there are pruning options with it.

Considering that even the Hinoki would need some pruning once it breaches the 20 foot height someday, I would enjoy western hemlock too, although the pruning for the Tsuga would be at least double.

I like the look of hand-pruned & thinned conifer hedges much more than sheared hedges.

8. Ron B

There are numbers of dwarf and slow-growing hemlock cultivars as well. However, wild-collected mountain hemlock specimens might be the most economical choice. Growth is mere inches per year but larger plants can be started with for comparatively lower cost - there is no grower's field to be paid for when the collector sells them to retailers.

Washington's finest coniferous evergreen landscape tree for average gardens. It will not grow awkwardly large like so many others.

http://www.arthurleej.com/a-Trees of merit.html

9. nerv

nerv Member

Thank you for the suggestions and now I'm going to research them. I was at the nursery yesterday and did see a picea omorika that was really nice. Please keep any other ideas coming, if you should think of any more. Too many neighbours have badly pruned large trees and I don't want to add to the mess down the road. Right tree, right place! Thanks, again.

10. Ron B

Typical Serbian spruce produces a full height tree. However, 'Nana' is on the market down here and develops into a small compact conical tree in time. As with other spruces specimens of Serbian spruce may become thinned by spruce aphids.

11. Green Crown

Green Crown Active Member 10 Years

What about our native western yew (Taxus brevifolia)? Not a conifer, but evergreen...

12. Ron B

Typically gaunt, spreading, slow and can be hard to grow. Is a conifer, however. Hicks yew would be a superior choice to this one. All yews require excellent drainage.