Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Elmore, Jan 12, 2004.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Beautiful! Mine is in its first year from the garden center, and in a pot. Although it was in the shade for most of the season, some leaves are a bit scorched, and it's still green, like most of my other maples.

2. JazzUp

JazzUp Member

Picture taken May 2013. Amazingly, it held this color almost throughout the summer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    jholl likes this.
  3. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

This is the second fall for this autumn moon maple. This year the Orange red is very spotty, but I still really like it.

Attached Files:

4. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

Neat tree. Thanks to you all who put pictures up over the years.

If I want to pot and eventually plant one in zone 6 St Louis would you recommend a half shade location and to water like any Acer palmatum I have?

5. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

That sounds right to me. The one I have is on the east side of my house with dappled shade from large trees. It gets some morning sun but not a lot. From what I have read Autumn Moon likes the same moist soil as all the other japanese maples, but not soggy soil. I amended our clayish soil with compost. I am also in zone 6, but Boise is probably a lot drier. Here we are basically in a high desert! Watering is really crucial every summer. Other little japanese maples I have planted got some crisp leaves, but not the Autumn Moon, so it must pretty fairly tough.

6. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

cjart this is one Acer that certainly needs careful attention in where exactly you place it.

Picture 1 Sept 2012 in the most shadiest spot in my garden only gets the last dying rays of sunlight in the evening for around one /two hours max ,held the colours well into the autumn and had very little leaf scorch showed lovely pinks.

Picture 2 June 2013 more open aspect in the garden alot more sun mainly morning, held colours well but didn't show any pink this time and scorched more.

Picture 3 May 2014 Full sun all day basically, again nice orange colours but when we progressed further into the season the leaves really started to burn and shrivel and no signs of any pink leaves again! i also think that i over watered as well.

So for 2015 the same plant is going back to where we originally started with less sun and a very strict watering plan! and hopefully if i get the same results as 2012 it will be planted out for 2016. Certainly had some head scratching with this one.

Attached Files:

7. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Those are some great pictures with such beautiful color. If I remember my little tree had a similar color in the spring, but not for long. I moved it to its present location in mid-spring. I hope that it will have the peachy orange color longer in the coming spring.
    Thanks for the comparisons!

8. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here's two more from last year one on the right full sun which i have already posted pics of and one on the left no sun hidden next to a large Osakazuki.

Just did this to gauge what the colour difference would be like during the spring/ summer months and into the fall.

The one on the left showed less signs of stress during the year but wasn't as colourful as the other plant.

Attached Files:

9. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Thanks, I am thinking that the one I have will have a little more sun than it did before, so maybe it will reward me this spring! It's very interesting how all the variables come in to play with these trees.

10. AlainK

Close-up of some of the leaves on September 11th, 2015.

Attached Files:

11. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

This is my first spring with Japanese maples. I started my collection last September. Out of the 13 that I've acquired, my favorite for spring color has to be my Autumn Moon. I bought a 5 ft. tree from a local nursery at the end of September. It had some decent fall color but showed a lot of leaf scorch after our brutally hot summer last year. It is really beautiful this spring and hopefully it will thrive through this fall in its new location.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  12. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I am loving the changes this tree is going through. Definitely, my favorite JM.

Attached Files:

13. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

My Autumn Moon was doing great while it was in a container but has not done well since I planted it in the ground. I’ve had it for 14 years from a new graft, and it’s not much bigger than it was when I planted in the yard a few years later. I probably should move it but I’m reluctant since it didn’t handle the last move very well. The leaves are still pretty, however.

14. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

New spot for mine. It got pretty stressed last year from too much sun.

Attached Files:

15. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I went to my local Home Depot yesterday and spotted a couple of JM's labelled Viridis but they sure didn't look like it. I went back today and snagged one. It was even 25% off!!

Attached Files:

16. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

It's official that it is a strictly Home Depot screw up. They stuck a HD hanger tag on it that said Viridis, but when I went to plant it today it had a faded Autumn Moon trunk tag from their supplier that I didn't notice when I bought it.

17. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

These are photos of my Autumn moon this Spring. It seems a good year for the Shirasawanum's.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  18. Acerholic

OK, the Summer photos of my Autumn moon. I love the colours of this Shirasawanum. Photo today July 7th 2020. Now if these colours don't persuade you to put it on your wish list, then IMO nothing will.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  19. Acerholic

3 weeks on since my last photo, sorry for not keeping the regular diary going as requested, but here they are today 28th July 2020.
    I will keep them updated throughout August.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  20. Acerholic

9th August 2020, so much heat, but my Shirasawanum's are holding on. How much longer????

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  21. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

One of my favourites! I bought it 9 years ago but it started to get smaller and smaller in a pot. After almost 2 years in the ground it has finally put on some long new growth. This is one of the few I try to protect from the sun by some shadecloth but hopefully in a few years it will get some more shade as my garden gets more mature.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and LoverOfMaples like this.
  22. Acerholic

23. AlainK

Beautiful !

I kept mine in full shade this year, and it's green. It's protected from the sun by a big Prunus pissardii (on the left of the picture). Since I water them from the hose and the water is very hard here, it's probably another reason why the colours are a bit pale.

acershir-a.moon_200814a.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  24. Acerholic

@AlainK, a lot of people shy away from greens intentionally, but I think that's the nature of what draws new people to growing JM.
    It's only after a couple of years of seeing and growing different cultivars that so many of us appreciate the greens. In this case because of the water and positioning you have one such lovely Autumn moon, perhaps not by design in this particular case !!!?
    I bet you get a really good Autumn show out of this one, compared to some of us that have brown curled up leaves on our Shirasawanum's every year in October. Give and take I suppose !!
    Your photo reminds me that I must follow up on Mr Sun in a few weeks, lol.

25. AlainK

No, it's not ! LOL

I can post a few photos of those that I haven't dared to show so far in the "Cheer yourself with maples" thread...