Bark Slabs

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mhern, Apr 13, 2011.

1. mhern

mhern Active Member

Does anyone know where to find bark slabs here in the lower mainland? I was reading the Canadian Magazine last night and saw this article about potager and the owner used bark slabs around the edges of her raised beds. I too am building a potager (we're almost there) and the idea of using bark slabs to contain my dirt seems a great idea and would probably cost less compared to other materials. I have 12 raised beds of various sizes for flowers and veggies. We've also planted fruit trees and berries so I'm really looking forward to see my potager mature over time. Any ideas on where to get bark slabs would be highly appreciated. I want my potager to look rustic.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Pretty tough to find I would think. I used to order shredded bark for the nursery I worked at in the 90s, it became harder and harder to find bark that was thick enough to not contain wood chips in it, nowadays its hard to find bark nuggets as well, most of them are not locally produced, I havent seen bark slabs at all. Perhaps try and find a mill that is still running and see if they have anything? There is one near Mission that might be helpful.

3. mhern

mhern Active Member

Yeah, I think that would be the best...to just phone around. Hubby says 'good luck' on that since everything is shredded and turned into mulch. Oh well...we'll see. Thanks for the response.