Why am I having no success?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Canadian Honey Pot Collector, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Canadian Honey Pot Collector

Canadian Honey Pot Collector Member

I've been trying to pollinate my hibiscus flowers with a brush but still no success.
    The pods keep falling off. I've tried early mornings ,afternoons, evenings, even two or three times during the day. Like I mentioned in a previous post , my plants have many blooms. I've tried doing this as soon as the pollen sacs open but the pods are still falling. I've cut some of the fallen ones open and it appears that maybe they might have started to do something, but then again I'm not sure.
    Any feed back would be tremendously appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Potted tropical hibiscus? These can be fussy, maybe the flowers are dropping off for other reasons, preventing fertilization and fruit formation.

3. Canadian Honey Pot Collector

My plants seem healthy enough, See the attach.
    Notice the pods , do they not seem to be swelling?

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

These can have multiple issues. Try searching strings like "hibiscus culture" (without quotes) on the internet. Won't necessarily have anything to do with behavior in question but I'd move specimen shown out of that small pot.

Are you attempting to cross pollinate or are you taking pollen from the same plant? Maybe these are self-incompatible.

Trading pollen between two different specimens from the same clonal cultivar won't accomplish cross-pollination either, as each is really just different pieces of the same clone.

5. Canadian Honey Pot Collector

I've tried both, 1st flowers from same plant , then croosed with flowers from the other.

6. Canadian Honey Pot Collector

I'll get a larger pot as it must be brought indoors for the winter , so I've been told

7. Ron B

Yes: these are tropical. Inside bright light and high humidity are likely to be needed. Take inside before indoor and outdoor temperatures become very different. Do not allow to be exposed to cold nights. Since you had at least the one sitting on the ground, expect it to be hosting assorted invertebrates. Place plants in intermediate area where passengers will be likely to disembark before taking into living quarters.

8. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

so far i have no really worthy hybrids but i have noticed some plants just refuse to hold a seed pod so you may have to use different plants as the female/ mother/ pod parent. the only plant i have that reliably holds seed pods is useless as the mother pod or the father pollen because it dominates either way all the crosses i have used it for pollen or pod the flowers have all been closely identical to the original. it used to set seed pods on its own withought me doing anything so i have since cut it back to two branches and grafted other varieties to it some plants are better for using the pollen only. the tropical hibiscus handbook shows a list of reliable pod parents and also a list of pollen parents with 'hot' pollen very fertile . i have the fourth edition so not sure the last time they printed a book maybe with a newer list if you want me to list them let me know i donot have time have to help someone move but can do it later if you want the list

9. Canadian Honey Pot Collector

I would very much appreciate that if you didn't mind .

Thanks Al

10. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

these where lsited in the tropical hibiscus handbook from the american hibiscus society

fourth edition

the first part is the names of the proven seed pod parents

adam - ali'i ui - all aglow - al schueter - charles schmidt - dixie delight - elderberry -

gold dust - gray lady - harvest moon - lagos - joyce A - lynn stacy - maya on red -

mini skirt - miss liberty - romeo - sheba - spring break - sweet violet - topaz glory -

and wallflower.

there is one more reliable seed parent its hibiscus arnottianus also called wilders

white its another close relative.

the second part is the pollen parents with hot pollen

all aglow - amber suzane - anna wissner - black beauty - carrie ann - creole flame -

crimson ray - devil's gold - halo girl - herm geller - honey do - jason b - jazz -

lovely lill - muriel - red paasol - tamibon - willie nelson and there is another its not

listed here but it talks about it in the relatives section its called hibiscus schizopetalus

common names are skeleton flower and coral hibiscus