deciduous shade tree for richmond

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Unregistered, Feb 15, 2004.

1. To whom it may concern:

We are interesting in planting a tree in our back yard. We are located in the Steveston area of Richmond aprox 5 blocks from the river/ocean. We are looking for a tree with the following qualities.

· FAST growing!
    · deciduous shade tree
    · disease resistant
    · takes full sun
    · thrives in the clay type soil typical in Steveston
    · root growth NOT a problem
    · large canopy niece but only a secondary requirement

Could you recommend a few locally found varieties that fit these requirements?

Thanks very much for your time,

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Deciduous trees that are fast growing and tolerate heavy, wet soils are invariably rather aggressive below ground (which shouldn't be surprising).

However, you could try the very beautiful, but unusual Nyssa sinensis (Chinese tupelo), which appears to be rather better behaved than many moisture loving species. The black tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica), an American species, is also attractive, but may be of slower growth. Quercus palustris (pin oak) is a commonly planted tree for such conditions, with a broad, pyramidal crown and low, horizontal branches. It tends to retain its leaves over the winter, especially when young (some people are irritated by this).

For an exotic look, try Metasequoia glyptostroboides (dawn redwood), an extremely fast-growing deciduous conifer native to a small area in China. It has beautiful, feathery needles and a strongly upright habit. Eventually, it forms a fluted, butressed base. A related American species, Taxodium distichum (bald cypress) is somewhat slower and forms a rounder crown. With age, Taxodium produces pneumatophores ("cypress knees") that stick up out of the ground around the base of the tree.

There are many other trees that would probably do well in your location, although a heavy soil and a high water table in the winter is tough on many plants that hail from drier winter climates. Check with your neighbours to see what they're growing.

Good luck!

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Definately Dawn Redwood, SUPER cool tree. If you want to see some older, semi mature specimens, there is a section of Kerr street that I happened to drive down last week avoiding traffic that has a gallery of these on the left and right sides, dormant now of course but still cool to see. I believe it was between 45th and 46th on Kerr.

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

The gallery of Metasequoia on Kerr Street (in Vancouver) is actually immediately south of 41st Avenue (between 41st and 43rd -- and they are magnificent). There are others of similar vintage in Vancouver, such as the those on Arbutus Street, north of 32nd for about two blocks.

5. jimmyq

Thanks Douglas, I was trying to give the address from memory looking at a mapbook after driving there once! I am glad I was as close as I was. Just for the record, are there any other streets with great galleries of mature trees that you would reccommend a drive or walk through? I drove through an area with Catalpa and / or Liriodendron trees (can't remember which) last year, near UBC on my way in to the botanical gardens.

6. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Pick up a copy of 'Trees of Vancouver' by Gerald B. Straley (UBC Press 1992).
    Well worth the coin.

7. Brian Chisholm

Brian Chisholm Member

Are there any examples of the Chinese Tupelo Tree that can be viewed in the vancouver area?

Brian Chisholm

8. Chris Klapwijk

Scientific name: Nyssa sylvatica Marsh.

According to 'Trees of Vancouver', there are only a few small trees in Vancouver. There is one in the median of East Mall just north of University Blvd at UBC. and one on the south side of the Garden Pavilion of UBC Botanical Garden.

9. Nyssa sinensis used to be near the waterfall in the Himalayan portion of the VanDusen Botanical Display Garden on Oak St., haven't been there in awhile but the tree is probably still there. This facility and UBC Botanical garden would be good places to visit for ideas anyway, both have plantings of trees on low-lying areas with damp soil. However, if your site is windy with perhaps even some salt-laden winds coming in than that would be an important factor that trees at neither collection would have to deal with, so you will probably also want to consult references with lists of trees tolerant of seaside conditions. British gardening books, such as THE HILLIER MANUAL OF TREES & SHRUBS often have these. Visit the garden shops and libraries at both VanDusen and UBC for other references.

10. Chris Klapwijk

Another great reference book for the Lower Mainland region is the recently released "Our Sylvan Heritage : a guide to the magnificent trees of the South Fraser" by Susan M. Murray, ISBN 1-55041-781-9

11. jimmyq

I second Chris' suggestion about the Sylvan heritage book, I picked it up this Summer and its a good read.