Help! Something is eating my maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by markjl, Apr 21, 2004.

1. markjl

markjl Member

This is for the Japanese maple experts.

I live in Roanoke, VA. My fiancee bought me a japanese maple. It came out of dormancy without problem. It now is being eaten by something that places many holes in the leaves. I have not noticied anything actually on the plant. The tree is outdoors. The leaves otherwise appear healthy.

I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

2. look for tiny black specks. Aphids! tiny flies that resemble gnats. They will eat just about any vegetation. Also be on the watch for silver wing white flies that are native to our area. Get some Permethrin in spray not powder but be sure to start on the inside of the plant close to the stock and work your way out.

So what kind of Japanese Maple do you have? There are quite a few verities. I am guessing Acer palmatum dissectum Crimson Queen considering both Home Depot and Lows are carrying them. (Crimson Queen Laceleaf Maple) Boones Mill Nursery has quite a selection of all types of the Japanese Maple. If you have any more trouble after trying the Permethrin run over to the brambelton Recreation Center Right (across the street from Hardies near the corner of electric and brambelton) they have a horticulture center there that will test and analyze your samples. This is a free service of the health department.