Identification: White...

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Jun 23, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

These are a grouping of small pure white mushrooms.......they've a wonderful smell that's hard to describe. The largest cap was 4cm and stood 3cm high. They've been popping out of a mossy area on a hill for a couple weeks now but don't seem to get much bigger....I've not noticed any dead yet. Near them are growing the Russula emetica........One thing I noticed that is y I'm looking for the ID is that? They leak a clear fluid much like the milky caps leak the latex. When the stem was broken it poured out almost like water.

Attached Files:

2. Michael Kuo

Michael Kuo Active Member

Looks like Lactarius to me. Can you take more photos after they develop some . . . and can you document all the trees within about 30 or 40 feet of the cluster?

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

definately. I've already made notes on all the immediate trees within their vacinity? Red Bud, Cottonwood, Oaks, Maples, Ironwood (American Hornbeam), Ash, PawPaw, Mulberry, and Cherry are all the predominate that were immediately around and identifiable. I've one other image of the same mushrooms but will update on future as they enlarge....they seem to be an incredibly slow-growing mushroom!

Attached Files:

4. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Lactarius piperatus (ss.)

Regards,
    Nico

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Do you have a common name for this one by any chance? Everything under the name I looked up was in other languages for other countries.
    thanx,
    C.Wick

6. Michael Kuo

Michael Kuo Active Member

Lactarius piperatus is sometimes called the "peppery milky." Your mushrooms might be L. piperatus (in fact it's a likely identification given the fairly crowded gills and the oak trees in the vicinity), but there are other possibilities, as well. Have they matured yet? Following the guidelines on this page:

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/odortaste.html

. . . it might help in the identification process if you were to taste the mushrooms. Another question: Is the pinkish cast to the gills in the photo "true," or is it an artifact of the photo?

Best wishes, Michael

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

can I say without doubt? these are DEFINATELY the peppery fellows...
    my tongue is still tingling. :o)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Also? When milkys are young? does the actual 'lactos' darken with age as in....these right now have a clear 'milk'........