Identification: Are These King Bolete??

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by tanuki33, Sep 13, 2009.

1. tanuki33

tanuki33 Member

I found these during a walk today... lots of them... even if these are not specifically the King Bolete I have read you only need to watch for one or two types of Bolete as being deadly... is this correct? (they look like the King though.. these are a few of my smaller guys)

Attached Files:

2. Hase1

Hase1 Member

I believe those are Boletus (Leccinum) scaber.

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

The base of the stem is usually a little more swollen on kings. but the stem does have the right look (except the lack of swelling). and the creamy pores rather than yellow fits for king.

4. Hase1

Hase1 Member

You are correct "silver_creek". The King Bolete will show a more swollen foot.

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Just to clarify, these mushrooms are in the genus Leccinum, not Boletus.

6. tanuki33

tanuki33 Member

Thanks People,

Hase1: Thanks... These are what they look like now that I am looking differently at the features.

MycoRob: Wow.. I see they have been re-examining the Boletus. The old name for Leccinum scaber was Boletus scaber.. This is a really exciting and very detailed art / science.

When reading about Boletus (unaware of Leccinum or Suillus at the time) I read that the vast majority of Boletus were edible, though not always choice, and you really only had to look out for red pores. Does this hold true accross all Boletus, Leccinum, and Suillus? I am wondering if this generalization was made before or after they started moving these from one genus to the other.