Identification: bolete?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by zeroone, Sep 2, 2009.

1. zeroone

zeroone Member

I found these under spruce trees. They were both growing on the ground alone, spore print is olive, no color change when cut and the bigger one's cap is 10.5 cm.

It passes the tests I've read for edibility, but any guesses as to which bolete it is?

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

The seem to have a Boletus edulis (or very closely related species). You can tell because of the white reticulations on the top of the stem near the cap.

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Zeroone,

I think MycoRob is right, but I'm curious about what you're referring to with

The usual rule of thumb, in my region, for boletes, is to avoid bitter-tasting or red-pored boletes. But there aren't any tests for edibility for mushrooms as such, eg. deadly amanitas taste great, silver spoons speak no truths, and so forth. I have mycofriends who disagree, since they are still alive and use the edibility tests/rules they were taught "in the old country," but I'm still thinking they're alive because most mushrooms are not poisonous, or at least not very, and because psychology also affects how we react to foods.
    .... Sometimes I just don't ask what is in the dishes at the Survivor's Banquet, because I might be better off not knowing ...

whee! :-)
    frog

4. zeroone

zeroone Member

Frog,

Sorry, I could have been more clear. I meant it as "it passes the simple bolete tests I've read for edibility" (doesn't have red pores / bitter taste / turn blue when cut / brown reticulations/ ring). No way do I believe that there are a few tests that rule out all poisonous mushrooms.

MycoRob / Frog,

Thanks for the responses. These are the first boletes I've picked and I appreciate your input.

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Where in NY are you zeroone? There are several mushroom groups in NY. Two in the 'southern tier', of course a couple in The City, and a couple others sporadically spread throughout the state.

6. Frog

Gotcha Zeroone - and sorry didn't mean to pounce on you. I've just been finding it an interesting topic lately, various folks' ID/edible rules.
    cheers
    frog

7. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

Not to be contrary, but these specimens don't have the wide spread out base that I usually associate with B. edulis.

8. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

What exactly does the "turn blue when cut" indicate?

9. Frog

BTW: In my region, one of my favourite edible boletes turns blue when cut
    :-)
    frog

10. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

And that favourite Bolete would be?

11. Frog

Zeller's :-)

12. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

Still hoping to get an answer here ....

Does the fact that a Bolete turns blue when it is cut indicate that it should not be eaten?

It would seem this is not a hard and fast rule. The reason I ask is that last year I collected a large number of Bolete's that were identified as Boletus Lakei but they turned blue on the stems when they were cut. I did not eat any as I was unsure of the identification given there was no mention of this characteristic when I finally found a description of Boletus Lakei.

13. Frog

Hi Kuhnayjun,

I have eaten Zeller's Bolete, and they usually turn blue when cut/bruised.

I've eated Suillus lakei, which may formerly have been called Boletus lakei, I don't recall whether they blued or not.

14. zeroone

zeroone Member

MycoRob,

I'm in Syracuse. I've just searched and found there indeed is a mycological society here - interesting.

Kuhnayjun,

I got the 'avoid boletes that turn blue' rule/guideline from 'Common Edible and Poisonous Mushrooms of New York' where the author states that 'several poisonous boletes ... have yellow flesh that rapidly stains blue when cut or bruised'.

Also, read "The BLUE-STAINING BOLETES" on http://americanmushrooms.com/coolest.htm

So it seems there are both edible and poisonous boletes that stain blue, and some recommend avoiding them all, at least in my region.

15. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

Damn I feel a lot smarter now. Thanks to both of you!! When I collect some of the "blue stainers" again this year I will post photos to get a better ID.