grapefruit tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by RJPoll, Oct 21, 2009.

1. RJPoll

RJPoll Member

Hi,

I have grapefruit trees and orange tree that I have grown from seed. One grapefruit tree is over 45 years old that I planted in school in first grade. My problem is the trees are dripping sap from the leaves and this is the first time this has ever happened. They are all dripping sap. I have over 12 tree that I am tending to as of now. Any help to stop the dripping of sap would be helpful.

Thanks,

Russ

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Dripping sap is usually a symptom of a sap sucking pest such as scale or aphids. The liquid is actually called honeydew and is the excrement from the pest. Repeated applications of insecticidal soap over a period of time usually solves the problem. There have been many posts in the past dealing with this problem.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Your trees more than likely have an insect problem, as absolutely none of the common citrus diseases are present in the state of MI. The insects would either be scale, mealy bug, or aphids, with a small possibility white fly. If the problem is from an infestation, the sap dripping from the leaf blade is the insect's excretion, normally called "honey due". You will also need to remove the excretion, or a fungus called sooty mold will develop, using the honey due as its food source. Inspect you leaves carefully. Scale usually are found on the bottom surface of the leaf, generally along the mid vane, but also along the mid rid of the upper leaf surface. They look like a small light brown scabs. Mealy bug looks like a white foamy substance. I am sure you already know about aphids. You can spray with either a soap/water solution, or a horticultural oil such as Ultra Fine. If you use soap water, you will need to spray 3-4 times a day or two apart. With Ultra Fine (which is completely 100% non toxic and entirely safe to humans and animals) it generally takes just one application. Whatever you use, never ever spray a citrus tree during the heat of the day. Only spray in the very early morning, at dusk, or on a cool cloudy day. Ultra Fine should take care of any insect problem your tree will ever have, and also soften the honey due, so that you can simply wash it off with water. However, I find it highly unusual that in 45 years you have not had this problem before. Good luck to this tree. - Millet (1,182-)

4. RJPoll

RJPoll Member

Thanks for helping me with this problem. I have not experienced this before as I always sprayed them for spiders before I brought them inside, and sprayed them off with water to rid it of the spray smell. Thanks again for the help, it has worked!!!