Grow Bags source?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Raingirl, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Raingirl

Raingirl Member

Hello Folks: I would like to try and grow some tomato and potato in grow bags this year: having a bit of a challenge finding a supplier on Vancouver Island (found some at 20$ a bag; yikes).
    Any leads.
    Would rather not deal with any hidden cross-boarder charges.
    Tried to source canvas bags via the local coffee roaster but they want 5.00 a bag; bit rich for my pension garden (maybe I should just grow some Money Plants!! ;~)

Thanks

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Selection of bags available at West Coast Seeds: Here.

You may be able to get a nursery near you to order some for you since many already carry the company's seed. (It's a local company.)

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    agree - I like dealing with West Coast Seeds.

also - I believe I have seen those grow bags at various nursery shops - and Home Hardware - and Cdn Tire this spring 2015.

how about the free shopping bags they give out at the stores these days (I am not speaking of the plastic type you get your groceries in) ------ i bet your local rummage store has lots of those "shopping bags" - punch a few small holes in the bottom - add a rock to keep it weighted - then the proper potting soil - and voila! Jardin du jour. To me it looks like the same "fabric" as those grow bags.

5. Raingirl

Raingirl Member

GREAT Idea re: those recycle shopping bags: thanks a bunch. London drugs sells extra large ones.
    I have bought 'stuff' from West Coast Seed for ages; yes they are a great company.
    Regards
    Libbie

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    i hope you post some photos of your "shopping bag garden" ; )

one plant i do very well with in a pot (container) at the coast is "Swiss Chard" - it is pretty and also tasty. It lasts all winter in the coast climate (sheltered spot) in a pot.

it is easy to grow from seed. Sow it directly in good potting soil. Bright Lights and a new one this spring - can't recall the seed pkg variety at this moment. It's common in the garden centers' pkg seed display.