Key Lime Tree questions...

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by MyMer00, Oct 23, 2009.

1. MyMer00

MyMer00 Member

I bought a key lime try this spring. I kept it outside for the summer and it did really well. I brought it inside a couple weeks ago when it started getting cool at night. It started losing its leaves as soon as we brought it inside and now almost all of the leaves are gone. We water it about once a week and bought a light to make sure it gets enough sunlight everyday. I'm afraid it's dying and don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Placeeither of the words "WLD" or Winter Leaf Drop" in the search function of this forum, and you will receive all the information needed to correct the trees situation. Good luck to you and your tree. - Millet (1,180-)

3. MyMer00

MyMer00 Member

Thanks for the help. I looked up WLD and have moved the tree away from the window, have been using warm water when I water it, and have ordered a heating mat, but all of the leaves have fallen off. Is there any hope of bring it back?

4. Gros Michel

Gros Michel Member

MyMer00 is this a standard or dwarf key lime? I don't think it matters in regard to your problem just that I haven't had any trouble like that with the dwarf in zone 6. The pot size in relation to the plant size could factor in though.

5. MyMer00

MyMer00 Member

It is a dwarf key lime tree. Its about 1.5-2 feet tall and is in a pot big enough for room to grow.

6. Gros Michel

Gros Michel Member

It will probably respond well to heat/ light and humidity. Whatever extra you can provide should help. I have kept on in an aproximately 10 gallon container and it has produced a few fruit already. It is about 1 1/2 years old and started out as a 10' cutting. I have kept it pruned back to about 2 1/2 foot high and wide to make it easier to handle( if thats possible) due to the spines. Hope to hear that yours bounces back.