Lillium Oriental 'Stargazer'

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Allan, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Allan

Allan Member

We have been given this plant as a gift. It is in a 12" pot, is 30" high with 3 blooms open and 2 buds. We live in western Sask zone 2A (Rosetown) ... the tag says it's cold hardiness is -40 Zone 3 which is a bit of a contradiction ... besides a huge farm garden we have a small garden on the west side of the house up against the basement wall. I am sure there is some heat seeps through the wall and affects the first couple of feet of garden. We also have a "cold room" in the basement which stays about + 4 C in mid-winter for storage of vegetables. What do you suggest on how to handle this plant so we can have this plant blooming next July? Allan

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. Kara

Kara Active Member

I grow many bulb lilies in zone 4 and all I do is take dry leaves in the fall and rake generously over all the flower beds. After the snow melts in spring, I wait for the top part of the leaves to dry a bit and GENTLY rake off the leaves and put into the compost area.

This last winter was really bad. It was -40 C for almost a week, and the rest of the winter was -20 to -30 C. But we also had a ton of snow. There was no loss of the Orientals but can't say the same for the Trumpets. I don't see any trumpets this year. But I may have accidentally lopped off some "noses" in the spring during clean up so they never grew. I won't know until I can get in there and dig around this fall to see what I will find.

Asiatic lilies, as usual, were troopers and we had no losses.