Aloe Vera?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by GreenLeaf, Sep 9, 2005.

1. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Active Member 10 Years

I have an aloe vera plant but in the past I watered it a bit too much because the lower leaves became rotten at the base and fell off. So now I'm trying not to water as much, and the leaves seem to be "droopy." Aloes are not my type of plants, lol, not very good at growing them, so thanks for any tips!

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi GreenLeaf,

If you are not used to growing succulents it can be hard not to overwater them, eh? Is the plant in a well draining soil mix, like a cactus mix? They like shallow wide pots to spread there roots - shallow pots also help prevent too much water retention in the soil. Give it good sun and a warm spot. Allow to dry between waterings. Water less in winter.

3. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    It's in a regular potting mix. I think that's a bad idea? It's also in a clay pot, which I thought will dry out faster. I guess I'll try to water it less. Thanks!

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

There is only one species of Aloe vera (vera is the species name) and there are more than 400 species in the genus Aloe. The genus is mainly found in Africa & the Arabian peninsula. It is an introduced genus in Asia, America, & Europe.

Plant it in cactus mix and let it completely dry between watering....especially in the winter. If you can, move it outside for the summer. It will appreciate it greatly.

Simon

5. Mikki

Mikki Member

I have had the same problem with aloes - over watering. I have found the mine only needs to be watered about twice per month. And then when I do water, I try not to drench the soil, especialy in the colder, winter months. I have heard that less water causes the root system to grow, creating a much stronger plant.