rootstock for A. shirasawanum?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by banjoboy, Apr 27, 2007.

1. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

I thought that I had read that Acer Palmatums were used as a rootstock to graft A. shirasawanum 'Aureum'. I recently saw some at a nursery and the rookstock was suckering a little on some of the Aureums. It definitely wasn't palmatum. Anyone know what kind of maple is used as a rookstock on these? does palmatum rootstock work well?
    thanks
    banjoboy

2. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer palmatum rootstock works well. Acer shirasawanum and Acer japonicum work but are not as available or as inexpensive as A. palmatum. That is why most of the grafts are done on palmatum rootstock.

Dale B.

3. SilverVista

SilverVista Active Member

I've recently seen acer circinatum used as a rootstock here in Oregon and was told it's for producing faster growth in plants that aren't intended to be sold to colder climates. In fact, I purchased A. x shirasawanum 'Sensu' and 'Johin' a couple of years ago that are grafted onto A. circinatum, and also A.s. 'Autumn Moon.' I don't have other grafts of 'Sensu' or 'Johin' to use for comparison, but the 'Autumn Moon' on circinatum seems to have noticeably more color on the leaves compared to the one grafted onto palmatum. Both have been sitting side by side in a greenhouse, similarly watered and fed for over a year. There is an age difference, though. Don't know if species of rootstock or age would account for the difference, or even source of scion wood?

4. Galt

Galt Active Member

Circinatum can be used for shirasawanum, but palmatum or japonicum are more common. Japonicum might be ideal, but is rarely available unless one grows his own seed.

I did a few shirasawanum on cirinatum this year, an Aureum and an Autumn Moon. The problem is that circinatum has a much more limited climate tolerance fand prefers cooler moist areas and will not tolerate extremely cold winters nor will it tolerate or grow well when the root zone is heated in hotter climates like southeren Oregon valleys and many parts of California, not to mention many central and southern areas of the country.

So. one should be mindful of the future destination or planting site of the graft. In most cases, palmatum will suffice, but may not be ideal.