Green spots on tomatoes do not ripen

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by fluffypuffmarshmallows, Aug 9, 2006.

1. fluffypuffmarshmallows

fluffypuffmarshmallows Member

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows what can cause quarter-sized, or slightly larger, green areas on a tomato to remain green long after the rest of the tomato has ripened. The spots I am seeing are not on the top of the tomato, but the side. I finally picked one after concluding that the green area was never going to ripen, and cutting it open found that the area underneath it simply seemed under-ripened, too-- no rotting, no squishiness. Any ideas?

Heather

2. AlexH

AlexH Active Member

My guess is green shoulders:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/GARDEN/02949.html

Green/yellow shoulders develop on ripening fruit, possibly due to high temperatures. Chlorophyll in this area is slow to break down and results in a patch that remains green or turns yellow but not red. This problem may affect the entire shoulder or only a small, irregular patch. Shade the plant and take other precautions to reduce the fruit's exposure to the sun.

3. fluffypuffmarshmallows

fluffypuffmarshmallows Member

Thanks. That does sound like it, and they do get a lot of sun. I'd read about green shoulders on a different website, but it made it sound like it only happened around the stem of the tomato. At least it isn't toxic!