Looking for mail order source for "Rainier Cherry" tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Ottawa-Zone5, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Hello Everyone:
    Does anyone know of a mail order nursery or garden centre in Canada that may have Rainier Cherry tree. Some nurseries like Dinter Nursery in BC have it but they do not ship and serve only local area with onsite retail outlet. I will appreciate such information.

Ottawan_z5a Ontario

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you can't find it out there maybe it is not suitable for your conditions. You might want to look into that before ordering one in from elsewhere.

3. Ottawa-Zone5

Thanks Ron. I always appreciate your posts in all threads.
    However, the Rainier cherry is in the same class of hardiness as Bing, Stella, Lapine etc which are available here in garden centres. Also, backyard gaedeners case is different from commercial plantings. Home hobby gardeners want to take challeng. That is the fun of it. So I guess looking for it (& the associated frustrations) is a part of this fun.
    I have the same problem with finding sources for fig varieties. We have two sources (known to me) on this side of the border. One has a bit limited selection (but prompt) and the owner of the other one always says he is very busy and find it difficult to respond soon. Fig enthusiasts on the US side have many sources and resources to get their plants or cuttings.
    Once again, thanks for your posts. They are always to the point and helpful.

Ottawa_z5a

4. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

5. Ottawa-Zone5

Thanks Ihuget
    I checked and found that E.D.Smith is "U Pick Cherry" place. I located a couple of Nurseries in Niagra belt but they say they do wholesale. Dinter Nursery in BC has good choice of fruit trees but they say they do only local retail business. There are many places in US with Rainier but getting something from US is not easy these days (refusal to ship by some nurseries, Phyto-sanitary certificate, import permit etc.). Thanks for your input.
    If I could not locate thru such posts then I will try making rounds of local garden cntres and Home Depts, Ronas this coming spring again.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Cedar Rim Nursery in Langley, BC usually carries that variety. They are brought in bare root and potted on site, you may be able to have one shipped bare root to you, if you contact the store, ask for Jan or Russ, they are the head honchos (I used to work with them). Failing them, try Bylands nursery in Kelowna, BC. Then try Kato's in Abbotsford...

7. Ottawa-Zone5

Jimmyq; Thanks a lot. That is very useful information. I will try all of these sources in sequence.
    Also, as a contingency or for further experimenting, would someone know the Canadian source(s) for purchasing stone fruit cuttings (cherries, plums, paeches etc)? I would like to experiment with diffenet methods of grafting. I know failure should not hurt when it is just a backyard hobby but suuccesses may have a lot of therapeutic benefits for retirees (& young ones too).