problem1: ants & larvas problem2: two main branches

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Lazar, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Lazar

Lazar Member

Hi everyone

I have a 5-6 years old orange tree, grown from a regular “super-marker†orange fruit.
    It had several problems in the past, but with the help from this forum – it is still alive, bigger then ever.N o flowers yet, but this the first year I see some thorns. Maybe that means something :)

These days it has two major problems.

The first one are the ants.
    Honestly, I have to say I saw only a few ants, but I think my three has a lot of their “larvasâ€.
    So, these may not be ants & their “eggsâ€, but nevertheless – the three has a lot of small (1/16" in size) black dots. These black dots are covered with translucent "skin". When I try to take them off manually one-by-one, they come easily. It is clear that they are not a disease in terms that it becomes “part of the leafâ€, but just "glued on". When I look at them closely, I think I see a small ant in what looks like a small insect in a “premature†/ rolled-up position.
    So, I think these are ants “larvas†- located mostly on the back side of the leaves and some braches in the shadow.
    Again, I did saw same actual ants, but not nearly in the same number as the “larvasâ€. Also, as a side note, I think (I'm not sure), that some of the very tops of branches (where the new leaves are starting as pins) are gone. In my theory these ants eat those baby/future leaves.

The tree itself is OK - it can overcome the ants / â€larvasâ€, but I think I need to clean them.

Second questions is a general one
    As I was told - I should never trim my orange tree (if I want it to bloom).
    However, somehow the tree (after the expansion in the last three months when I’ve put it next to the swimming pool) ended up with two main branches at the top!?
    It looks like my tree is now a split personality.
    I believe that every tree should be with only one main branch.

So, should I just cut one of them before it's too late,
    and let the tree grow normally, since it looks like its struggling now.

Thanks!
    Lazar

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Let both branches go; if you want you can train them to spiral around and give the tree more shape. Cutting one, especially when there's an infection of some sort, could ulitmately hurt the tree more than it helps. Thorns are a good sign, however if you grew your tree from the seeds of a supermarket orange (?) you might be disappointed in the fruit. It will have reverted to type, and be quite sour/bitter.

As for the ants and the little "larva" things, I suspect the larva are actually aphids of some sort. Ant larva resemble grubs. You can keep the ants off of your tree by using tanglefoot or some equivalent. Most garden stores sell this and it's very easy to apply. It saved my plum trees from ants and aphids.

To discourage ants from nesting around the tree, try mixing some diatomaceous earth into the soil around the base. This is a completely natural product and won't hurt the tree at all, but ants hate it. It's available at WalMart, of all places, in the gardening section next to other, more toxic, ant killers. It will also take care of any ant larva that may be hanging around. You can also stir it into any ant nests in your yard to discourage them from growing.

Something that will get rid of aphids once they've hatched is dilute dish-soap and water, sprayed liberally onto the leaves and stems. You can also use Safer's Incecticidal Soap, which won't harm your tree any, if you're concerned that dish soap might be too strong. This should also be in your local garden center.

Best of luck!

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

What your tree is infected with is certainly NOT ant larva. Ants do not lay Larva in trees. The insect is probably citrus scale, or as lorax said it could possibly be aphids. If the insect is flat, and attached to the leaf or bark, but does not move than it is scale. Both scale and aphids are very easy to control. You can spray the tree with a horticultural oil such as Ultra Fine, which you can purchase at any nursery or Home Depot. You can also make a spray solution of 1 tablespoon soap mixed in 1-gallon water, and spray the upper and lower surface of the leaves and all the bark. If you use soap you should spray the tree 2-3 times at 5 day intervals. You can either leave the second trunk or clip it off. However, be sure that the "second trunk" isn't actually a branch. - Millet

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ants actually farm the aphids for their secretions "honeydew"

Liz