Sago Palm (with bugs)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by km06us, Feb 5, 2007.

1. km06us

km06us Member

Hello, my boyfreinds mom in Sept. gave me a Sago Palm, she bought it from Ikea and its in a smallish pot, the plant reaches about 10 inches from the soil and has about 8 branches. I started to panic when the bottom 4 branches started to turn yellow but i read on here that this is a normal activity.

However I have not seem anyone say anything about a bug problem. My plant has little bugs, I have the plant in the original pot it was bought in (has holes in the bottom for water to drain) plus in a nothing pot to catch the water and I only notic the bugs in between the two pots, and in/around the holes where the water drains out. Only once have I seen them on the branches.

It's hard for me to pin point when I first noticed the bugs as I am at school in St. Catharines, ON (near Niagara Falls, ON) and there were a lot of fruit flies in the fall and these bugs seem to look almost like fruit flies but they are a lot dumber (easier to catch/kill). I have been looking and asking everyone to find a solution to these annoying little flies. Can anyone help me please?
    Thanks, Katie

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Try a Google search for FUNGUS GNAT and you should find a remedy there.
    Cheers, LPN.

3. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Hi katie, I have the same problem I just went to walmart and bought fly catchers those stickys things that look gross and hang from the ceiling, but they work I had tons of them and now I don't see one. Also if this helps when you repot it use a cactus type soil because they are acually a succulent not a palm. Hope this helps

Tom 24

4. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Hi, Katie

Yes, they sound like fungus gnats. They result from soil that is kept too damp. Let the soil dry out between watering and you will break the life cycle of these gnats.