British Columbia: Best table grape for growing in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mkaplan, May 14, 2010.

1. mkaplan

mkaplan Member

Hi there
    this is my first time posting. I have a south facing deck and want to grow a green seedless table grape up over the arbour to create shade and grapes to eat. This area gets a ton of sun. We had a concord grape that did amazingly well (last summer it produced over 300 lbs of grapes) but our deck is being replaced, so we had to take it out, and I dont actually like the taste of concords anyway. So...... if anyone can recommend a yummy green seedless that will do well in a stinking hot area, I'd be so happy.
    thanks
    MK

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I really like the flavour of Interlaken, which I've been growing for many years on a south facing deck in Burnaby. The vine is not as vigorous as the Concord types; so it won't be as productive. You could reduce the space between vines to increase the yield. Himrod is another green seedless grape that is quite vigorous and has yielded big crops for me. However, I prefer the flavour of Interlaken.

3. mkaplan

mkaplan Member

Thank you, both those varieties sound good. From my research, one that sounds best is called Lakemont which is higher yielding than both Nimrod and Interlaken, and improves in flavour with refrigeration, plus keeps until December . I have not yet been able to find one in Vancouver or Canada, so if anyone knows where I might find it, please advise. Thanks