British Columbia: Best acidic compost for Rhododendrons?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by debrudo, Apr 20, 2011.

1. debrudo

debrudo Member

I have older (10+ years) rhodies and a couple of styrax trees growing in the two concrete planting wells of my small Vancouver townhouse complex (wells are: 5 ft x 20 ft x 6 ft deep). They've been neglected for some time, and I believe they could use some acidic compost mulch. I've heard mushroom compost is not acidic enough. A mulch of bark chips was applied a year ago. (I know that the concrete wells are not good for acid-loving plants, but that's what I have to deal with!)

Can you tell me what is the best compost to use and who might supply it? Should I rake the bark mulch aside before putting the compost down? And then add some slow release acidic fertilizer?

All the leaves are definitely on the yellowish side. The rhodies are blooming now, the styrax is just beginning to leaf out.

Thanks!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The best starting point would be a soil test, to try and find out why they are yellowish. It could be nitrogen deficiency, for instance, and not the pH.

3. debrudo

debrudo Member

Thanks, Ron. I did a home test a few months ago and it showed it to to be around 7. I guess my real concern is that the plants are in concrete wells and have not had organic material (other than wood chips) added in many years. I agree that a nitrogen deficiency could be an issue.

What about using something like Sea Soil as a light mulch, along with a light dose of slow release rhododendron fertilizer?

Many thanks.

4. Ron B

That is fairly high, in which case you would probably want to start working on raising the pH. Acid soil fertilizers might eventually have some effect on this. Otherwise, mulching is a good general practice and is best done with clean woody material such as arborist wood chips (without weeds and debris).

5. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

You'll probably want to lower the ph:) Try some sulfur... http://www.improve-your-garden-soil.com/use-of-sulfur-to-lower-soil-ph.html

6. Ron B

Don't do anything drastic, it's detrimental to soil microlife. A change in pH of even on point is a huge step. Expect to be gradually increasing the acidity over a period of years.

7. debrudo

debrudo Member

Thanks for your replies! Last year it was mulched with arborists wood chips. I guess my concern is that there might not be much real life in the soil since it's contained in those concrete planting wells. I thought adding organic material would help, and using something on the acidic side would be best.

Ron... when you say "acid soil fertilizer" do you mean what is sold as rhododendron fertilizer?

Many thanks.

8. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

If you want to boost soil life, add some humic acid. In my experience it works wonders. I added it to my orchard soil last year and my earthworm/bio population exploded.

http://www.blackearth.com/homeContent.asp

You can buy it locally in 50 pound bags for cheap. 1 bag would be all you'd need.

9. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Note that wood chips are known to use up nitrogen as they rot. You definitely need an acidic source of nitrogen to compensate. Ammonium sulfate is one non-organic source used by blueberry farmers.

10. Ron B

Concern: Wood chip mulches will
    tie up nitrogen and cause deficiencies in
    plants.
    Evidence: Actually, many studies
    have demonstrated that woody
    mulch materials increase nutrient
    levels in soils and/or associated plant
    foliage. My hypothesis is that a zone
    of nitrogen deficiency exists at the
    mulch/soil interface, inhibiting weed seed
    germination while having no influence
    upon established plant roots below
    the soil surface. For this reason, it is
    inadvisable to use high C:N mulches in
    annual beds or vegetable gardens where
    the plants of interest do not have deep,
    extensive root systems

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda ...Myths_files/Myths/magazine pdfs/Woodchips.pdf

11. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

In regards to nitrogen being locked up in the decomposing chips, as long as you don't mix the mulch in with the soil you'll be ok.

Some acidic fertilizer will help as well, as it sounds like the soil is nutrient deficient anyways.

http://www.store.tlhort.com/p-21670-gardenpro-rhodo-and-azalea.aspx (scroll down)

Get a soil test if you really want to know your soil conditions.