How to create a 3-in-1 apple tree?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Laura Ralph, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Laura Ralph

Laura Ralph Active Member 10 Years

Hello All,

I am trying to understand exactly how 3-in-1 apple trees are propagated for sale to public. That is, rootstock production, interstem and scion grafting.

So far, my understanding is that rootstocks (M9, M26, M27?) would be propagated via mound layering. Interstems and scions would be taken as cuttings. The interstem would be grafted using whip and tongue method to the rootstock....Then

I am not quite sure about how the interstem is used with the scions. Would the scions be T budded into the interstem?

I can't find any good internet resources on this.

Thanks for any and all help.

Laura Ralph
    www.aliveandwellorganic.ca

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

A 3-in-1 apple tree doesn't need an interstem unless one of the varieties is incompatible with the rootstock. I've grafted 2 or 3 additional varieties onto apple trees that I've bought and had good success. Any form of grafting or budding can be used to create the 3-in-1 apple tree.

3. Laura Ralph

Laura Ralph Active Member 10 Years

Thanks. I am doing an assignment that asks me to describe how a nursery would do it. It says to discuss rootstock, interstem, and scions...