How to build an urban garden?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Tex, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Tex

Tex Member

Hello folks -

I live just outside of Vancouver, BC, and actually went to school at UBC! :) Found this forum through a fishing forum I'm a part of. I have a question for you all... I ran a search but didn't have any luck. :)

I grew up doing a fair bit of gardening... my first job was at Nurseryland in Ocean Park (for almost 5 years!), and also spent countless hours working with my Grandpa in his garden. That was a long time ago though.

I moved this past winter to a townhouse in Burnaby (BC), this year will be my first with my own patio, and a decent sized one at that...

Size: 430 sq. ft, cement
    Exposure: SSE (decent sun from sunrise until mid/late-afternoon)
    Shape: rectangular (approx 30' x 14')
    Surroundings: mostly various hedging, plus medium sized trellis, all 4-7' high

What I'd really like to create is a bit of a backyard oasis, with lots of various perennials, space for a nice-sized patio set, and some larger planters to grow herbs and vegetables in. Not really interested in a lot of annuals, though some would be ok. I've been to a few places to ask some questions and maybe get started on buying some stuff (pots, planters, soil, and the plants themselves), but so far I've either been mostly ignored (smaller stores) or else I've met people who know less than I do (at the big stores).

Anyone here have a good working knowledge on how to get started? Or perhaps you know someone at a local nursery or gardening centre that you would consider an expert?

Thanks.
    :)
    Tex - has a green thumb, but hasn't used it in quite a few years.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Tex, did you work for Paul at Ocean Park? I used to sell to that store a number of years ago.

For assistance, consider Gardenworks in Capilano, say Sunday, between about 10 and 4, there will be someone there that might be able to help you out ;)
    If possible, consider getting a wish list together, what you would like to see growing on the patio and what kind of effort you see yourself putting in to upkeep over the seasons.

3. Tex

Tex Member

Hi jimmyq/Paul -

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I worked for Paul Johnson for almost 5 years, he was a great boss, took a young kid under his wing and taught him about hard work. Great guy in my books.

Gardenworks in Capilano? I will add it to my calendar. Is it safe to assume that the person you're referring to would be you? lol

Thanks a ton!
    Spencer

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Safe to assume? Yes. If I get visitors there the benefit is that its free for any useful advice I may offer.But please dont hesitate to ask questions on this board, that way many may benefit from the answers rather than just yourself. As well as leaving the door open for many to provide answers and opinions.

5. Tex

Tex Member

That's great! Thanks for the offer. I will definitely continue to try and be a part of this forum, I have lots and lots of questions, but in the meantime I look forward to seeing you on Sunday and hopefully getting some great info and likely picking up some awesome stuff. :)

Thanks.
    Spencer

6. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Tex, I built up my garden, around our detached house, over many years. Just kept shopping; when I saw a gap in blooming, I'd go see what was happening at the local stores. And of course garden-club sales are great sources for plants and information. On May 1, go to either VanDusen Botanical Garden’s sale from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Catalogues available in advance at the garden cashier for $2) or Burnaby Rhododendron and Gardens Society’s sale from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 103 at the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts, 6450 Deer Lake Ave., Burnaby.

7. Tex

Tex Member

Thanks Debby... good suggestion. I ended up buying a handful of plants on the weekend:

- pieris (to be potted)
    - daphne (to be potted)
    - flaming/burning bamboo (to be potted, not sure of what it's called)
    - jasmine (to be potted for the trellis)
    - clematis (to be potted for the trellis)
    - grape (to be potted for the trellis)

Plus a couple of long planters for vegetables (about 5' long, 12" deep by 12" wide). This weekend I"ll buy some pots for them, and some vegetables for the planters. :)

Then over time I can look at adding to what I have so far. Good idea about hitting up the garden-club sales.