Trouble w/ my Plumeria

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Spritch, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Spritch

Spritch Member

I have a Plumeria I brought back from Hawaii. It has been growing beautifully for 5 years.....almost 5 feet tall (it's potted as I live in VA and have to bring it in for winters). This year we had a frost that came through before I had time to bring it inside. All the leaves fell off.....I'm used to this when I first bring it in for the winter. This year, however, some of the trunks that carried the leaves are shriveling and hallowing from the tip down. I'm worried this will continue down the rest of the trunks. It doesn't appear to have any mites, etc. Any advise is much appreciated. It does need to be repotted, however I'm hesitant to do anything until I can stop the damage.......any advise is very much appreciated.
    Thanks!!!!!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No frost tolerance. Hope it sprouts from down low. Too bad you may have lost it after getting this far with it.

3. Spritch

Spritch Member

Thanks for your response. I have one branch that is regrowing the leaves. Still very healthy. Should I cut the damaged trunks off?

4. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Removing all 'cold' damage would have been my first move. Cut off all of the "wilted" portion of each limb, and about 1/2 inch of the hard part of the stem. It should heal and give you new starts.

5. Spritch

Spritch Member

Thank you so much!!! That's actually what I ended up doing by instinct and my Plumeria came back better than ever. Thank you for the wonderful advice!!!!!
    Enjoy your day!

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i missed this thread.

i'm glad you cut off the damaged areas - that's just what you should do! sometimes a decent trim, even when nothing is wrong, rejuvinates the plant and spurs new & vigorous growth!