Air Layering

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Graham Hues, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Graham Hues

Graham Hues Member

Hello,
    Has anybody got any good recipes for air layering a low growing weeding maple (not sure what type). The winter snows over the last two years have split the highest and largest two branches that spread out at this union point. There seems to be lots of cabium left intact on the main stem leading to each of the branches, so I was wondering if air layering was an option. I've read about it but I'm not sure if it would work when there is only 1/2 the trunk (diameter = 3.5") for this purpose. I understand that late spring would be a good time but would really appreciate a tried and true method.
    Cheers Graham

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Graham you have a pics?for prune there is a good FAQ...in start page..alex

3. Graham Hues

Graham Hues Member

I'll get a picture asap. My main objective isn't to prune the maple but to air layer and get another plant but I will look at the FAQ.
    G

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Graham, I believe air layering is possible for maples that can be layered, which is most kinds I think. I don't know where Campbell River is but if perhaps it is a vine maple your chances are good.

Good luck, and let us know how the experiment comes out, please.

-E

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

ok i find one article about this questions ,is possible the time for have new roots is 15/18 months ,cut a little one branch (only bark)and with "soil ligth" and sand river cover with plastic and string ,umidity costant..