fruit trees produce no fruit

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by mrsteeb, Feb 22, 2007.

1. mrsteeb

mrsteeb Member

I live on Vancouver Island in the Comox Valley. I have numerous fruit trees on my property and I am having problems with fruit production. In particular, I have a cherry tree, a Red plum tree and a Transparent apple tree within 20 feet of each other. The trees all have alot of flowers and the fruit forms into small cherries and plums. They will grow for a few weeks not getting much bigger. Then they will change colours and die. I will get a few dozen cherrys and about a dozen plums. The tranparent apple tree seem to puduce a lot of fruit and seems to be quite normal.

The trees have been in the ground for aobut 3 years and have always had this problem. Except the cherry tree had a lot of fuit the first year.
    I would appreciate any help you can provide because I want to transplant a Nectarine and a Gravenstien aple tree into this area.

Thank You!!!!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

could be lack of pollination or micro nutrient deficiency for starters. consider a soil test and maybe employ some mason bees. :) also check what varieties you have and see if they need specific pollenizers (companion plants for pollen transfer).

3. mrsteeb

mrsteeb Member

Thank you!!
    First, I thought if i was getting lots of flowers and small fruit that pollination had occured. Is this not true?
    second, how would I check to find out what varieties I have.
    Third, where could I get a soil sample tested?

Thanks for your help

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

Small fruit formation and subsequent drop could be a sign of pollination problems as well as drought, excessive moisture, or nutrient deficiencies. Your sweet cherry and plum (probably a Japanese plum) need an alternate & compatible variety for pollination. The cherry probably bore well it's first year because it was cross-pollinated at the nursery. The apple is self-fertile which could explain why you get a good crop. The nectarine & apple tree you plan on buying will also be self-fertile.

Check this site for pollination requirements and compatible pollinators...Fruit Tree Pollination

Simon

5. alkvinia kaye

alkvinia kaye Member

Go to Home depot or Lowes to get a sample test kit for the soil.

6. alkvinia kaye

alkvinia kaye Member

What are companion plants for polination?

7. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

companion planting can mean plants that bring in larger amounts of pollinators bees wasps etc. i had african blue basil for a few years and it brings in lots off bees wasps some native small species too. its a perennial so i could let it stay in flower and not worry bout it dying. and the other side of it is plants that produce allot of pollen and are good at cross pollinating its species. and most of the time if you provide plants that attracts the insects that do the pollinating you may not neccessarily need to buy more pollinating plants as long as there are plants within several miles of you, you should get good pollinating.if you donot have neibors with plums or cherrys than you will need to buy pollinators.not sure how to find out wich ones