Grafting A Mango Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by jain, Aug 2, 2008.

1. jain

jain Member

Hello
    When is the best time to graft a new mango tree? The plant is still in a 10"pot. It is about 8 months old.
    Thanks
    Jain

2. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Jain,
    You might be wondering why is one living in the far north answering your question. The best time is when the dormant apical bud is leafing out. Since I'm in a place where mangoes do not grow, you will have to find out this period for yourself. Usually it's at the onset of the rainy season after a drought. In a pot or protected situation, you can force it by watering less for a short period (to simulate drought) and then fertilize and water it. Go easy on the fertilizer but water liberally. Age is only a guide. The best is when the stem is at least 8 mm in diameter at 10 cm from the soil.
    Peace
    Thean

3. jain

jain Member

Thanks Thean
    I appreciate your response.
    We are in the rainy season now.

Thanks Jain

4. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

it also depends on what type of graft you plan on doing if you are doing a bud graft than what was said above is true also beginning of spring is a good time to get buds. i have seen it first hand sometimes when you bud graft the bud you get is the flower bud and not a growing bud. and that was someone who has grafted hundreds of mangoes with success he let it flower just to see what it would do obviosly it died but was neet to look at. i have only ever had a few succeses grafting mangoes its harder for me because i am allergic to them so have to use gloves. but if you plan on using a cleft or side vaneer than you can prepare the bud wood a week before you plan on cutting the bud wood. cut the leaves off the scion you plan on taking,all accept the top two leaves cut thos in half. the others leave the leaf piece that attaches the leaf to the branch when the piece falls off by just barely touching it. the scion should be ready to take off and graft to you're seedling the buds should have started to swell it may also give you a few buds to try some bud grafts. worth a try to see if the buds swell enough for taking buds off it. let me know how that works i have not tried it but i have only ever grafted mangoes a few times and most likely will not be trying to much more just not worth the risk of rash for me. good luck

5. jain

jain Member

hello mikeyinfla,
    I will try your advice, sorry to hear you are allergic. I've grown two mango trees for family members, I never graft and got mangos in 3-5 years. Each year the mangos seems to get smaller. I have three trees in pots , I was thinking I'll try grafting.