Identification: Yokihi? - Takasago with no hairs? Double pinky-white, late season

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Joseph Lin, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

I found one Takasago like tree at 187 West 48 Ave.. Most of the flowers are fresh and beautiful. I found the other two trees at 263 & 388 West 48 Ave. between Cambie & Columbia St. on April 11.

Most of our Takasago are withered, but not these three. Most of them have 15 petals, some of them have one phylloid pistil, no hair on pedicles and no hair on the slight bronze-green leaves.

They do have most of the features of Takasago, eg. tree trunks and branches with lichens, most of the corymbs of 4 pink flowers arranged whorlly on branches, dark pink buds, 4 cm in diameter, 1 cm peduncle, 2.2 cm pedicel, no serration, and almost green sepals.

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Takasago with no hairs? Double pinky-white, late season

I agree with Joseph - no hairs anywhere. So is it allowed to be 'Takasago'? It's also in peak bloom now in late season, same time that a 'Shirofugen' on the same three-block set of these (one per block) has some open blossoms.

Other than those two little details, the tree sure looks 'Takasago'-like.

Douglas, I left a cutting on your desk.

Attached Files:

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Very interesting! Clearly not 'Takasago'. This one is like a looser 'Ito-kukuri', with gland-tipped, awned, simple marginal teeth. Very pretty. I'd like to compare this with the unknown at 45th and Larch.

The entry for 'Azuma-nishiki' in the Manual of Japanese Flowering Cherries (Flower Association of Japan), which is unfortunately missing a few lines of text (!), sounds like a plausible description for this plant. Unfortunately, Kuitert mentions it only in passing, including it in a list of similar looking 'Ito-kukuri' seedlings, but giving no other description.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  4. Joseph Lin

I visited these trees on April 16. Some flowers withered directly without purple centres. you stll can see few flowers with one phylloid pistil. It is interesting to see some green leaves coming out from each flower ball. I also provided the shape of the other two trees. You may find some other characters when you appreciate the beauty in their late stage.

Can we say these cherry trees are 'Ito-kukuri' now?
    Any difference between these three and those in UBC?

Attached Files:

5. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

I believe that these trees are 'Okiku-zakura'. Very similar to 'Ito-kukuri' and 'Yokihi'.

6. Joseph Lin

Re: Okiku-zakura - Takasago with no hairs? Double pinky-white, late season

I went to see three Takasago like trees on West 48 Ave. north of Langara Collage. They just beautifully bloomed. The peduncle is short around 1 cm. The pedicle is around 2 cm. It was hard to find a phylloid. Petals mostly 15, and some 17~20. The flower diameter is around 4 cm. They more like Yokihi zakura than Okiku zakura as described in the Kuitert' book.

7. Douglas Justice

Joseph, it sounds like you may be right (small flowers, short peduncle, 15-20 petals, red hearts, rare phylloids). Beautiful trees. Yes.

Now I'm wondering why I thought they were 'Okiku-zakura'. Did you find small red glands on the stipules? I'm sure I saw these on the 'Yokihi' trees at 45th and Elm.

8. wcutler

Douglas, can you show us what you're talking about? Are we looking for little red dots like on the petioles at the base of the leaf but smaller? At the base of the petiole or just somewhere on it? I'm not coming up with any explanation on the internet that sounds like what you'd be talking about.

In this or the Yokihi thread, we have several photos showing stipules. Did we happen to capture a gland? I don't see any candidate in any of the photos in either thread.

9. Douglas Justice

Other than maybe the third photo in post #2 above (which shows what look like glandular stipules), I'm afraid it's not very clear from any of the posted photos.

Stipules are little leaf-like (often paired) bracts at the base of the petiole (leaf stem). In many Sato-zakura, they are serrated, bifurcated or even deeply divided, sometimes with the teeth drawn out into awns (thread-like tips) or tipped with small glands. According to Kuitert, the stipules in Yokihi are 12-17 mm long and not divided. They have awned teeth with red glands. I wonder if the glands are always red.

For good awn and gland reference, see the first picture in post #7 in the 'Taki-nioi' thread. It shows fairly clearly, bracts with glands and awned bracteoles.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
  10. wcutler

Here are two zoomed versions from the third photo in post #2. I understand glands on the stipules now, thanks. But they don't look red. Maybe they get red when they get older?

Attached Files:

11. wcutler

And a zoomed in photo from the tree at 45th and Larch. I think I see two red glands to the left of flower pedicel left foreground. And all the other glands not red.

Attached Files:

12. Douglas Justice

Yes, but those are bracteoles. The second picture in post #10, above, shows the stipules.

13. wcutler

Oh sure, the stipules would be the one photo where I couldn't really figure out what I was looking at. I thought maybe I was being rash to say I understood glands on stipules, though the "glands" part is more clear. So Wikipedia says:
    Douglas, I'm not sure if I hope that is or isn't what you're talking about, as I don't understand it. You said stipules are "little leaf-like ... bracts" but small bracts seem to be bracteoles, not stipules, and therefore not what we're looking for. Or the difference between "on" and "subtending" is the bracteole/stipule distinction? I don't understand what subtending means either.

Joseph, I hope you understand this and can get Douglas the photo he wants to see.

I'll rename the thread soon, as it sounds like no-one likes the Okiku name.

14. Joseph Lin

I will lead a cherry walk at Langara area tomorrow morning and take more detailed photos of the stipules which are little leaf-like (often paired) bracts at the base of the petiole (leaf stem).

In Yokihi are 12-17 mm long and not divided.
    They have awned teeth with red glands.

I will see if the glands are red.

15. wcutler

But seemingly not the brown rot. @Willard posted photos from the two Oakridge trees today at Oakridge.