Miniature Sago Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by justwantthingssimple, Sep 6, 2006.

1. justwantthingssimple

justwantthingssimple Member

I bought one of those cheap-o mini plants from Home Depot for 5$ last April. It was potted in that yucky glue stuff when I brought it home, so I immediately gave it a new, bigger, and deeper pot. It lost half of its four leaves, of course, from the shock, but the weather warmed up enough to take it outside. It has since rebounded, and has multiplied in size - very healthy, I think. I want to bring it in soon for the fall, but would like to know the best ways to prepare it to come in, i.e. de-bugging, and also watering cycle inside...? I have photos if needed.

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Try not to let its face move in relation to the sun, if it spins, those new fronds will curl around on you, you'll be inclined to think you've done something nasty to it.
    When you bring it in try to give it simiar conditions to outside in relation to light, don't water quite as frequently hold off on feeding. (Unless the fronds aren't quite out yet?) Try and keep it away from the heaters.

3. justwantthingssimple

Thank you for your swift response. Do you know of the easiest way I can get the bugs out of it? I saw somewhere else on the site someone advised sitting an entire pot in the sink for ten minutes... would that work for a (mini) sago? I've also heard to water them with a bit of Dawn dish soap for a couple of days..?

4. Carol Ja

What kind of bugs are they?

5. justwantthingssimple

pillbugs, and such. gnatty soil dwelling creatures. I live in front of a big woods area.

6. Carol Ja

Well, drowning would work, I find those pillbugs everywhere, annoying things. You could probably go for some pesticide, but I'd just swamp the pot for a couple of minutes, then make sure you don't water for a few days. Someone else probably knows some cure all on bugs that I don't.

7. justwantthingssimple

I don't think any bugs are attacking the plant, I just see them living in the dirt.

Attached Files:

• sago.JPG
      sago.JPG
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
  8. justwantthingssimple

Thank you for your time, either way, Carol.

9. Carol Ja

What type of pot is that? rather colourful.

10. Carol Ja

Sorry just realised I didn't comment on the bugs. We have so many pillbugs here, I generally don't worry about them, the plants seem fine. If its a plant that comes indide, I generally am a bit harsh, I yank the plant up, and repot it with new soil. I friend of mine told me once its really hard to kill a cycad (sago palm). I have a few inside, and some planted outside.

11. justwantthingssimple

Ah! Thank you. Vino! It's covered in different old-fashioned wine advertisements, its real skinny, and deep, probly 10 inches tall. Has built in drainage, I think I bought it at a Wal-mart.

12. justwantthingssimple