Identification: Two to identify and one to share

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by basilavon, Oct 2, 2010.

1. basilavon

basilavon Member

Identification of the following two fungi would be greatly appreciated:
    The first (Photo 1) is of a white irregularly shaped and spreading fungus.
    It was observed in late September in W. Quebec.
    The second (Photo 2) is of a gilled mushroom observed growing in the tundra of the Ungava region in far Northern Quebec.

Although a little blurred, I thought I would share photo 3 because it is of the infrequently seen fruiting bodies of the spectacular blue green fungus- Chlorociboria aeruginascens.
    Apparently the green stained wood caused by this fungus has been prized by wood-workers for centuries for use in decorative inlays.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. basilavon

basilavon Member

Thank you, Daniel for the interesting supplementary information on Chlorociboria.
    Amazingly, I discovered another specimen of this fungus only today (Oct 3) growing out of a fallen tree branch in a different location from the first finding. Although less spectactular than the first, I did manage to get a photo that is more focused (please see attachment).

Attached Files:

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Greetings,
    The first photo looks like old soggy oysters (Pleurotus), though it is hard to tell in this condition.
    The second photo ...hmmm... very pretty thing... Could you confirm that it is growing on ground and that it is a ring on the stem that I am seeing there?

cheers,
    frog

5. basilavon

basilavon Member

Greetings and thank you, Frog for responding.
    These two have had me completely stumped and all attempts to key them out have failed!
    While 'wet soggy oysters' is a possiblity (for photo 1), I have my doubts.
    First, they were relatively firm in texture (to the touch) and some appeared too large to have been oysters. Also a close inspection of photo 1 reveals spreading "tendrils" almost as if it were some kind of Slime Mold. I am attaching two other photos of these "things" in the hope that they will help with potential ID (Please note that I am not sure if the second of the additional photos represents the same type of "fungus").

As for the gilled mushroom stumper (photo 2), I can confirm that it was growing out of the ground and that there is a ring on the stipe.

Thanks again for your help!

Attached Files: