Meyer Lemon Leaves curling

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by rustym, Nov 18, 2006.

1. rustym

rustym Member

I have 2 potted meyer lemon trees. One from a garden center which looks more like a bush and one grafted variety I purchased from a nursery. These plants are still outside with night temperature dropping to about 40 degrees. On the garden center tree most of the leaves show some curling. Only a few (less than 5%) appear curled on the grafted tree. Is this curling due to the low night temps or is there some other enviornmental problem to be considered?

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

If your plants are exposed to direct sunlight, it may be due to water stress caused by the cold roots when it is exposed to sunshine. I noticed my seedlings that are in pots wilting in the morning sun on the days when nighttime temps had been in the 40's. If I take them inside at night and put them out in the morningthey don't wilt. Roots go dormant and will not take up water when soil temp is below 55.4 F.

Skeet

3. rustym

rustym Member

Thanks for your input. I brought one of my plants inside, the other is in a 10 gallon pot that I'll wheel into the garage at night and find some way of keeping the pot from getting too cold at night. I saw that someone was wrapping the pot in Christmas tree lights to keep it warm. I might try this if I can find my old tree lights.