Identification: Newbie looking for help ID-ing mushroom

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by chrisb, Oct 7, 2010.

1. chrisb

chrisb Member

Hey folks.

Been lurking here for a while getting plant/garden ideas but only thought of registering now that my wife and I have begun mushroom foraging. We have had some successful chanterelle picking forays and I think we are officially hooked!

My wife was out yesterday gathering some more chanterelles (Oregon coast range) and came across a beast of a mushroom that she said looked like it had been knocked loose by an animal.

Some pictures can be seen here: HERE

( URL if the link doesn't work: http://picasaweb.google.com/cboycepdx/Mushrooms?authkey=Gv1sRgCJCa977A1rLXQg&feat=directlink )

Guessing it is about 18+ cm tall and just as wide.

We are guessing it is a lobster mushroom but the woman my wife was out with said she had never picked one that was so deformed. She noted they usually look more like a host Russula. The more experienced picker did say she thought it was a lobster.

From my reading it sounds like being deforming is pretty much part of the parasitizing. It does have a somewhat seafoody odor and is pretty dense throughout. Deep orange on the surface, and a dense white/cream color just below the surface. Kind of a spongy texture.

Was wondering if folks could help me ID? Also, once it gets this big and deformed would it still be good eating if it is a lobster?

Thanks in advance for any help and for patience with a newbie!

-Chris-

2. bcboy

bcboy Member

3. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

You can call it some long latin name, I'll call it YUMMY!

4. chrisb

chrisb Member

bcboy: my wife had a good description this evening: looks like styrofoam. It is pretty soft and uniform. When I squeeze a little piece between my fingers it is pretty watery. Not milky white or anything like that. Man, my mouth is water hopping and waiting to feel comfortable enough to cook this bad boy up!!

MycoRob I hear ya!!!

(as the smell of chanterelles, fresh chard and some soft scrambled eggs fill the house :) :) :)

5. chrisb

chrisb Member

(... sorry, watering that is.)

I cut a slice off the edge and added some pictures to the link above (on Picasa). Thought it would be helpful to see the texture/interior.

Over 1 lb.! (516 grams)

6. chrisb

chrisb Member

... oh, and didn't see any other lobster mushrooms, but last Saturday in the same general area there were lots of Russula ( I think) with a purple red cap breaking up through the pine needle duff. Mostly fir forest with vine maple and some birch scattered about. Forest floor had a good amount of Oxalis, western sword fern, and Oregon grape. More open areas had less undergrowth in general.