apples

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Roque, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Roque

Roque Member

About 2 years ago we bought from UBC 2 apples trees, they tel us that planting the trees close. they should polineate, but so far, only one of the trees blooms, the other one no, they are close to the wall and is growing very well,my question is what I should do to the trees so I can have fruits.
    I apreciate any help, thanks
    Roque

2. biggam

biggam Active Member

How big have they gotten? You might just need another year or two of growth. For instance I planted 2 trees 2 years ago as well, and just one of them flowered this year (for the first time); no fruit this year, probably next year on the one. One thing you could do to encourage fruiting is to weight or tie-down branches to horizontal; this makes fruiting buds develop for next year. Although it should have been done in mid-June to be effective in this regard, it can be done to this year's new branches in order to create a wide (strong) crotch angle, if necessary.

3. Roque

Roque Member

Like I said I planted the tress close to the wall of the house, we made them grow long, about 7 or 8 feet, with small branches to each side, the idea is to " atach" each brunch to a wired guide,so they can grow to each side.
    You don't think that I need to do some grafting?. no many bees around to make them "fertile" and bear fruits.Any think else?
    Thanks for your advice.
    Roque

4. biggam

biggam Active Member

Grafting? Probably not, unless you have just one apple variety and want to graft on a branch of another for a pollenizer. The trees may be likely to flower at the branch tips, so do not prune them off. You might plant some flowering perennials underneath and nearby to bring bees and other pollinators (hover flies, etc.) Spring-flowering groundcovers: Moss Phlox, Phlox subulata; Woodland Stonecrop, Sedum ternatum. Summer-flowering: Coreopsis, Salvia. They do get a lot of sun, don't they?