Crabapples

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Rima, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, our 2 yr new house came with a crabapple tree (at least I think it's one... the apples are very small). The thing is, I'm not 100% sure it's not a reg. size apple tree (don't remember from last year), but now it has a few small ones growing, already fully fire engine red, the largest (on the tree) is about the size of an apricot, if that. I found a smaller one on the ground, cut it in half and found 2 v. small white seeds (more flat than fat, with lengthwise indentations) and wonder if I should plant them now, wait til spring (after strat'g in the fridge), take a larger apple from the tree now and use those seeds, or wait and see if any apples come in larger. The season seems to have been pushed up by a month! Thanks for any help, from the wilds of NS.

2. SRTech

SRTech Member

Don't forget that apples do not grow true to the seed, so if you plant them, you will have little idea of what kind of apple you will get.

If you want eating apples, you should wait until spring, and then graft scion from a tree that is good to eat, onto the crabapple (sounds like they are crabapples) base (known as the rootstock)

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

I don't want apples, I want to try to grow a tree (for bonsai) and still have no info. on doing it.

4. JohnT

JohnT Member

see this site on bonsai techniques for apples

"Crab Apples along with Azaleas are one of the best flowering trees for use as bonsai".

This crab apple tree from the US National Arboretum has been trained since 1969.

A crabapple from Bill Valavanis, in training since 1969.jpg

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

Thank you. I know how to grow trees once they've germinated, but it was about using the seed.. In any case, I did get an answer from someone else that white seeds wouldn't be viable anyway, and to at least wait a while for more mature ones (if I decide to use them at all).

6. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Oh... I never saw this post. I was just looking on the net for instructions on germinating fruit seeds (peach, plum, cherry, apple) to use as bonsai material. It looks like all of these need to be stored in a cold place for varying amounts of time before planting.

I've concluded that my best bet is to collect the seeds from this year's fruit and store the seeds in the back of the fridge until next spring. Then plant. It is also suggested that you can plant the seeds in the fall and they sit dormant until the spring.

It's a little late, but hope it's useful.
    M.