Meyer Lemon Fruit Drop

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by SoilSister, May 25, 2006.

1. SoilSister

SoilSister Member

I received a Meyer Lemon for Mother's Day one year ago. It came Bare Root and I planted it in a Half Whiskey Barrel on my back yard Deck, which has full Southern Exposure. I live in North Georgia USA ZONE 7. It really didn’t do anything last year, but we built a Greenhouse around it and supplied it with a heater for the winter months. The Tree did very well and started blooming in February, I fertilized at that time with Osmocote 14-14-14, Liquid Iron and a small amount of Ammonium Sulfate. The leaves were healthy and the blooms started turning into lemons all over the Tree. Then, in the last week of April the Tree started Blooming again with Lemons already on their way to maturity. This is when I started to notice some of the smaller lemons yellowing and then dropping off the tree. Just a few every couple of days at first, now it may be as many as 2-4 per day dropping off, (the Tree is small, maybe 3 1/2 feet high and 1 1/2 feet across) and some of the Lemons that had started in February are getting raised bumps on the outer skin, kind of a thickening with the nearby leaves getting the same bumps on them. We have had a unusually dry Spring for Georgia, so I have been doing the watering about once a week when the top couple of inches are dry until the water drains through to the bottom. What am I doing wrong? Does the Tree have a disease that can be treated? and if so, what product should I use. The only insects I have seen are the bumblebee’s that are doing the fertilizing. I know nothing about Citrus other than the research I did when I received the tree to plant and fertilize it. My knowledge lays else where in the garden. PLEASE HELP!

Gray

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Have a look at my response to a similar question in the thread http://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/threads/13280; it could explain what's happening with your tree. As for the bumps, my first thought was of scale but being an experienced gardener you'd have recognized that. More experienced citrus growers may have an explanation for the bumps.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Junglekeeper is correct. There is nothing wrong with your tree. Citrus of all types will only retain 1-2 percent of the fruitlets that develop after bloom. If every bloom on a citrus tree developed fruit, and if all the fruitlets grew to maturity, the tree would be crushed under it own weight. No matter how big your tree gets it will mature only approximately 1-2 percent of the fruit.- millet

4. SoilSister

SoilSister Member

Thank you so much for your advice, It does make sense to naturally thin out. Since Citrus is new to me, it is not something I have experienced before. Do you know if it is normal for a Meyer Lemon to Bloom a second time while fruit is already setting on the Tree?

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I believe lemons (Meyer, Eureka, Lisbon, Ponderosa) are everbearing with main blooms in spring and fall.

6. kajunangel42

kajunangel42 Member

Where can I find more informtion on a Lemon Drop Tree.

7. SoilSister

SoilSister Member

Hi there kajunangel42! I can't say I have ever heard of a "Lemon Drop" Tree before. I have a "Meyer Lemon" Tree. I live in North Georgia USA, Zone 7, and it does very well here. I do have to cover it in the Greenhouse in the winter. Is your question regarding a Meyer Lemon?