valencia orange tree and green gage plum tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by cdinh, Jul 17, 2009.

1. cdinh

cdinh Member

Hello all,
    I live in Southern California. I have recently planted both trees in my garden. One month later, I put some slow release fertilizer on both trees. I water them twice weekly like the nursery suggested.

Lately I have noticed:
    1. The orange tree has some yellow leaves and some on the ground.
    2. For the plum tree, the outside edges of the leaves are turning yellow as well.

Are these trees dying??? What can I do to help???

Thanks,
    Connie

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Concerning your citrus tree. Citrus trees are very heavy feeders, requiring a lot of nutrition. Young trees, that have been planted in the ground for 1 year or less, require fertilization 6 times a season, and for a tree planted for 2 years, fertilize 5 times a season. Even very old trees are fertilized 3 times every growing season. In Southern California, the first application is applied the 1st of March with successive applications, equally spaced, until the 1st of September. Slow release fertilizers can be used in conjunction with regular fertilizer applications, but when applied alone slow release fertilizers do not supply enough nutrition to supply a citrus trees needs. Normally, the first deficient element causing leaf yellowing is nitrogen, followed by others if the situation is not corrected. Use either a fertilizer with the formula 6-6-6 or a 8-8-8. If applying a 6-6-6 apply 0.8 lbs. fertilizer with each application. For a 8-8-8 apply 0.6 lbs. fertilizer with each application. Spread evenly around the tree out to the drip line, but never directly against the tree's trunk. Never use a fertilizer stronger than 8-8-8 on a citrus tree younger than 3 years old. You have already lost most of the time for the early applications. Apply one now and one the end of August. Good luck to this tree. - Millet (1,279-)