Pony tail too large

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by molecula, Apr 29, 2008.

1. molecula

molecula Member

Please tell me if the root ball of a 30 year old pony tail is capable of damage to sidewalk and surrounding patio concrete. I would like to move but fear damage to the plant. How large is the root ball under whats on top??

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Beaucarnea recurvata may have roots that are extensive, however, they tend to be more fleshy and soft, rather than woody like a tree. I think removing the plant will be much easier than removing a similar sized tree.

Being that you are in Florida, your local tree service should have experience and the right equipment for removing large succulent plants like Beaucarneas, Tree Aloes, etc. Depending upon where it is, they may be able to get their tree removal machine and just scoup it right out of the ground.

The question of whether or not the plant is capable of damaging/cracking concrete sidewalks, etc. is yes, but it may not be from the roots, like a large tree often does. The caudex may be the culprit, being that the roots are rather soft.

I was watching a landscaping show on the television a while back where someone had a very large tree aloe (don't recall the exact species). It was huge (3ft diameter trunk, 20-25ft tall). The tree removal service came in with a crane and pulled it straight up and out of the ground without digging at all. The trunk of the aloe had molded itself and had overgrown on top of the sidewalk. The sidewalk concrete was undamaged when they pulled the plant out.

Now, will your Beaucarnea grow in a similar fashion, it is difficult to say. However, it may be relatively easy to relocate the plant. I know there is someone who had posted some fantastic photos of their Beaucarneas in Australia and had mentioned that they did have to move them around in the landscape. Check out the Caudiciform and Pachycaul Tree forum.