Mice Rabbits P/pines

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by ken goss, Jun 19, 2007.

1. ken goss

ken goss Member

I'm the new kid on the block.
    This spring after the snow melted my fruit trees, "Apple and Pear" had the bark chewed away all the way around. I spayed roof repair and some branches now have leaves and did get to see flowers on the apple. But one Pear is starting from the root and the other has started from last years growth.
    Question is. How should the prunning be done? Should the dead branches be cut back-off? Should the new shoots be trimmed? Should a special food be given them? I also have a small fish pond and have in the past watered the trees using that algea water. This good or bad?
    Ken Goss

2. biggam

biggam Active Member

I'm a little confused by your post -- what does "P/pines" in the subject line denote? Were you aware that you'd need rodent protection? Roof repair is maybe not the best idea; something called "bridge grafting" could have been an option. Pruning off dead branches is a good idea. Shouldn't be a problem using some algae water -- better to water deeply and infrequently than to frequently water a little. Some other specific questions might be easier with a picture of your situation.

3. ken goss

ken goss Member

Sorry for the delay.
    I've tried to respond but something just went poof and everything gone.
    My word should have been Porcupine.
    My Grape Vine has taken over near six to seven feet wide and all the way up and over the eaves.
    What should be trimmed? Can any trimmings be rooted?
    The Plum Trees are now growing from the roots and starting to look like a bush as several stems or what ever they are called are near four feet high.
    The poor Apple Tree has only two Apples as half has died from the Mice eating the Bark. That Roof stuff has done some good.
    Will try to take some pictures.
    Regards
    Ken Goss

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

There are quite a few threads about pruning grape vines and propagating grape vines in the grapes and grape vines forum, so that answer should be there.

5. ken goss

ken goss Member

Thankyou Daniel, Have taken a quick look and seems I found my answer there.
    Man what a small world a person in US asks and a person in Australia replies and now Canada has seen the helping hand reach out this far.
    Makes one ask why do we see so much trouble in this World of ours.