Yellowish leaves on Blue Atlas

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Gulin Goktepe, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Gulin Goktepe

Gulin Goktepe Member

Hey all,

I'm very new to gardening and my question is about Blue Atlas. A month back a landspace contractor planted a Blue Atlas tree to my garden and a week ago we have noticed that needles on upper branches of tree turned to yellow. We called the contractor and he said that tree needs fertilizer and they put some fertilizer. He said that give it a 2 weeks to recover. Most of yellow needles dropped and now i'm wondering if it's really possible for tree to go back to its original in 2 weeks.

Thanks,

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Just a word from experience with the blue atlas--they can be a bit tempramental. I have a weeping and upright form and both will exhibit this behavior from shock. The weeping form I planted in the landscape last fall did not make it. For some reason the root system of these trees does not like to be disturbed and there is some risk, more so than many more tolerant plants, when one is planting. Once planted in the ground, it is advisible not to move in the future for fear of losing the plant. Fertilizer would not be a good idea, but to make sure it is adequately moist while it establishes is about the most you can do for it. Some might recommend a root simulator of sorts, but often some yellowing and minor needle drop is common with these when planted. My upright form shows just a little at the top from its transplant last fall, but it looks otherwise healthy. I am waiting to see what it will do this spring.
    MJH

3. Gulin Goktepe

Gulin Goktepe Member

Thank you MJH for your reply.

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi what colour was the burlap used on the root ball?

regards Doug

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: circumstantial evidence would point to unsuccessful transplanting, which would be the responsibility of the contractor - both to undertake the moving operation proficiently and to tell you how to provide adequate aftercare (if they're smart). Nutrient deficiency would be unlikely to cause the top part of the tree to defoliate; fertilizer should be selected and applied after the soil has been sampled and sent to a soils test lab for analysis, anyway.

An evergreen conifer that goes even partly bald is having a definite problem. Get out your contract and see what kind of guarantee, if any, is provided against such developments.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Doug, are you thinking the copper treated burlap may have been an issue? If so is there discussion regarding this issue somewhere on the web that I could read further?

7. douglas

Hi Paul

Checkout www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/cedar.htm.

There are a few other government ( state sites ) and University sites that comment on this. In some cases copper treated burlap is used to not only as a preservative for the burlap , for transportation purposes but to prevent nursery B&B stock from rooting out for 8 to 16 weeks depending on conditions.

There is a copper based product that is used for burlap, I believe that it is called Spin out?(Maybe wrong going on memory here.)

I will be back this weekend and will post a list of hard/ copy sources along with more web sites.

Best Regards
    Doug

8. jimmyq

thanks for the info post Doug. Although keep in mind the link for the Ag Canada site is for Thuja species, not necessarily true Cedars. Still good info for problem solving there though and the rest of the site is a great resource for insect and disease issues.

9. douglas

Hi Paul

COOL

I agree that"thuja" may or may not be a TRUE Cedars however the blue/yellowblue B&B facts hold true . weather it be for pinus or rhodo

Check out the Chilliwack area , the trees that have been blown over ( based on past experience) are not straight burlap/ ie not blue or greenish blue.

I will give more info sites

Best Rgards Doug

10. jimmyq

Doug, roger that, not trying to diss your facts, just adding some thoughts. :)

11. douglas

Hi Paul and All

No diss entended ;) . In the upper fraser valley I found the treated burlap to create minor probs and setback in retardation of root growth/developement.

Since being in Prince George ( 3 years now) I have had quite a few calls about retarded growth/ or dying trees/shrubs. In most cases I have found that the treated burlap was used for the B of B&B. and that it is pretty much still intact.

Granted it is a heck of alot drier up here / but I think it is worth pondering :)

I"ll post the other sites regarding the use of it when I get home to a real puter :)

Any and all input would be great.

Now that the season is on us / has everyone noticed that for every Plant that blooms a new muscle is found. lol

Best Regards Doug