Weeping Willow

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by mumbodog, Mar 31, 2005.

1. mumbodog

mumbodog Member

Hi All,

Hope I can get some help with this. I am trying to grow a weeping willow (Salix babylonica) from a cutting and so far, not much luck. I get some roots from starting in water, but when I put it in soil (1/4 soil, 1/4 peat and the rest #2 gravel), the buds stop and what leaves have shown die. I want to bonsai this tree.

Any advice on soil, lighting etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ALLOCASUARINA

ALLOCASUARINA Member

Hi there,
    Willow must be about the easiest genus to root. Take cuttings just before the buds burst, end of Feb. here in Ireland. Take good thick wood at least 10mm dia. and up to four feet long. Bury the bottom end, in the soil, about a foot deep and stand back. Honestly it is that easy. I have rooted willow cuttings 100mm. in dia. and 1M. long, inserted upside down. They were meant to be temporary fence posts. Good luck.
    Richard

3. Hi!

We have a 3yr old weeping willow in our backyard (El Paso, Texas). This summer... its leaves have started turning yellow and falling. What is it that our tree leaves to be healthy again?? If you have any suggestions please email us at ankara@peoplepc.com with the subject titled "weeping willow". We'd appreciate very much any comments and suggestions you all may have. Thank You!